I Challenge You to Stop Reading White, Straight, Cis Male Authors for One Year

Yup. As @Beanolini says:

1 Like

Margaret Atwood is my all time favorite author. For a couple of more that really delve into female psyche, I recommend these two (never was the biggest fan of Handmaidā€™s Tale):

Alias Grace
Catā€™s Eye

Alias Grace is the easier read and has some good historical insight into womenā€™s roles whereas Catā€™s Eye is richer, more about what itā€™s like to be a preteen/teen girl.

4 Likes

Thanks! Iā€™ll add these to my list, because I actually liked Handmaidā€™s Tale, so if you think these are better works I look forward to reading them.

1 Like

The ā€œchallengeā€ would be that I often donā€™t know the race, ethnicity, gender, or orientation of most authors. I have hundreds, maybe thousands of books here even now, and only for a very small subset do I know these things about the authors. When it takes me more time to research their life story than it does to read the book, Iā€™d say this is a case of diminishing returns.

But as regards daneelā€™s original post, I have been hoping to check out Octavia Butlerā€™s work.

2 Likes

(Perhaps also related: ā€œYou Canā€™t Take Back What You Already Haveā€)

3 Likes

Nooooo. One reads an author based on merit. As a child, I loved Anne McCaffrey. Her gender had absolutely nothing to do with it. If someone tried to tell me I MUST read Anne, that would make me a bigot, I would have responded accordingly. Just as I am responding to you now.

I think some issues are getting confused here, something like:

who wrote a particular book, and whether and how that matters

versus

who writes the books that most people read, and whether and how that matters

I thought the OP was getting at the latter. If so, can we get back to that topic?

2 Likes

One possible goal of this exercise is to find out if you have actually been doing that.

6 Likes

Yup. So if like, 90% or more of what you read is by white cis-gendered men, and you think that what you read is actually based on ā€œmerit,ā€ then what are you implying about other types of writers?

Saying that politics doesnā€™t matter is really just another political move, ya know?

ETA: Not that Iā€™m directing those rhetorical qā€™s at you, KarlS.

5 Likes

I fucking loved The Etched City. And yeah, itā€™s a beautiful cover. It reminded me of Viriconium-Era M John Harrison.

1 Like

I thought the beginning and end needed better editing, but the middle was so good that I forgave their weakness.

Definitely looking forward to see what she writes next. Her style felt like a more accessible (less unnecessary circumlocutions) Mieville IMO.

I tried volume 1 of Dial H after Cory blogged about it, havenā€™t read any of his other stuff. Worth a look?

Iā€™d start with Perdido Street Station, itā€™s his strongest work so far and shows off the ā€œsurrealist fantasy/scifi/whateverā€ at his best. If youā€™re not into that one, you probably wonā€™t dig any of his others any more. (Though being a white dude, I think heā€™s out-of-bounds for the purposes of this discussion.)

After that, I liked (in order of how much I liked them) Dial H, Iron Council, The Kraken, The City and the City.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if I was supposed to be keeping track, but thereā€™s a whole lot of genderbending in SF. Iā€™m not that sure that I will Fear no evil was pioneering in this regard.

Iā€™m super down for this! (Once I finish A Scanner Darkly)
Especially some Octavia Butler. Is there a reading list somewhere thatā€™s useful if you want to do this and really like sci-fi?

2 Likes

This made me think of the difference between reading a book ā€“ borrowed from a friend, say, or free online ā€“ and BUYING one (whether dead trees or pixels). Which is more helpful to support the writers themselves? Seems to me, if I were to buy 100 books in a year, ALL by non-WSCM authors, it wouldnā€™t matter how many books I actually read, or by whomā€¦in a country that equates sales with value, Iā€™d be casting a very clear vote.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t found any lists yet, but hereā€™s my recommendations based on my quick start:

• Lois McMaster Bujold (Shards of Honor if you want scifi, Chalion if you want fantasy)
  • Octavia Butler (anything)
  • Ursula K. LeGuin (anything, the Powers trilogy is her newest and is good)
  • Connie Willis (time-travel: To Say Nothing of the Dog)
  • Jo Walton (anything)

And Iā€™ve had good luck using Goodreads ratings and just picking random books by women authors.

Oh, and Cixin Liu if you want a male non-westerner sci-fi. He is very good.

3 Likes

Also Nicola Griffith.

1 Like

This list has apparently prompted enough visits to Amazon that searching for one entry will now pretty reliably get you the next several as well.

Iā€™m stocked with a few short story collections as well - ā€œMothership,ā€ which I funded on Kickstarter, ā€œWomen Destroy Fantasyā€ and ā€œWomen Destroy Horrorā€ (bonuses from the ā€œWomen Destroy Science Fictionā€ fundraiser for Lightspeed Magazine, which was EXCELLENT), and ā€œLong Hiddenā€ which I also funded. ā€œQueers Destroy Science Fictionā€ should come out later this year, plus its bonus issues, and when that runs out, Iā€™ll probably turn to some Octavia Butler and Samuel Delaney that Iā€™ve had in the queue for a while. Iā€™ll be out of N.K. Jemisin pretty soon sadly.

2 Likes

I read ā€œSlow Riverā€ due to a friendā€™s recommendation and it was absolutely fantastic, and not at all like many things Iā€™d read before.

1 Like