If women wrote men the way men write women

I am interested in “If women wrote men the way men write women”, but don’t understand how the notion is illustrated by the examples offered here. I enjoyed Elison’s story, but would probably understand it better if it came with an essay or something. To me, man and woman are arbitrary categories with no innate meaning.

2 Likes

37 Likes

Um. What’s the guy doing?

3 Likes

shearing his toe-hair?

3 Likes

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to shave your toes? You know…so I’ve heard.

11 Likes

An analogy I draw is supposing that everybody is either a lemon person, or a lime person. That these categories somehow say a lot about what they are supposedly like. But without being socialized into the whole idea, it appears absurd from the outside. A lemon person writing about lime people? Is that something like a blonde person wearing a redhead’s clothes, ie yoga pants?

But despite feeling acutely that there is no objective meaning behind these categories, I am interested in the subjective meanings which people find in them. But most people I meet aren’t very interested in going into depth about just what somebody being man/woman means to them.

7 Likes

The binary isn’t about what categories you put yourself in. It’s about what categories almost everyone else puts you in. It’s truly wonderful that you don’t impose them on people - and I’m being sincere about that - but you’re one out of billions. So yes, someone who’s put in the lime person bin by society will have experiences someone put in the lemon bin never will, and vice versa.

22 Likes

The glorious flavour of lime… Mmmmm!

5 Likes

And then an orange person comes along and suddenly the limes and lemons have a common foe.

21 Likes

I don’t disagree, although I do think it’s debatable what right “society” has to impose arbitrary categories upon anybody, and that that is a debate worth having.

But my point here was not so much about whether or not such a binary can be said to exist, but rather how it may or not be elucidated by the content of the OP. It’s enough to get me more curious, but that’s all it does. It seems much more like an in-joke than any sort of explanation. I am sure that’s fine, but it is not what I was hoping for.

3 Likes

I do, actually. Not very. (Although it does help if the hair is already fine & sparse.)

:heavy_multiplication_x: 2

23 Likes

Don’t take the fruit metaphor too far. Cory will get ideas.

5 Likes

None. But most people do it anyway, and rights without teeth and just abstract philosophy.

I agree, but not here in this thread.

We all struggle with disappointment :wink:

7 Likes

Orange people may be ignored. Grapefruit people, however, are strangely respectable.

7 Likes

Oooo…new This gif. I’ve been shopping for one of those. Grazie!

3 Likes

You are appleing my leg! We’ve got to cherries our metaphors. They have cultural currants, see?

6 Likes

[quote=“popobawa4u, post:11, topic:88177”]
To me, man and woman are arbitrary categories with no innate meaning.[/quote]

Well there’s that whole child bearing thing I hear that all our mothers took part in on account of our being alive. That’s got to be worth something.

11 Likes

You’re most welcome; I have more than a few in my own collection.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

YES. YES.

4 Likes

##Just look at it!

30 Likes