If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

19 Likes

12 Likes

Okay, so maybe the front of my local Doctor’s surgery isn’t very interesting at first glance, fair enough.

But did you spot the entrance to the Bat Cave!?

27 Likes

Either that or it’s curbside pickup for their fast food side hustle for vampires…

“Wait doc, why do you need a second blood sample?..”

12 Likes

Anyone happen to know what these are? (EDIT: I think it’s Ornithogalum umbellatum, which can be invasive.) The flowers each have six white petals that fold back up in the evening. They’re about 1.5" across. No leaves (yet) on the stems which were about 6" high. I did not get so close to see if/how they’re fragrant. My handbook suggests maybe they’re Viola blanda but these petals are thinner and pointier.

Daytime:

Twilight:

I’ve had a small butterfly (maybe 2 - 2.5" wingspan) show up at the (suspected) Philadelphia fleabane (Erigeron philadelphicus):

Not sure what the butterfly is but I don’t think it’s Calephelis borealis whose larvae feed on these. EDIT: I suspect it’s either Vanessa virginiensis or possibly Vanessa cardui.

16 Likes

Guessing

9 Likes

That’s what I thought, after searching around a bit.

6 Likes

15 Likes

Welcome to the world, little pepper :blush:

22 Likes

More junk mail today from the usual suspects (I finally called them and asked them to stop):

On a better topic: Not very visible, but here’s a rose-breasted grosbeak. Hadn’t seen one in person until today. At first, given the black-and-white pattern and flash of red, I thought it was another woodpecker, but then noticed the red patch was on its breast, not its head. I still thought it looked familiar and that may be because it’s right on the front cover of my Peterson’s Field Guide.

Just to confuse matters, in this photo an actual woodpecker (downy or hairy; on the right) joins him:

13 Likes

I just saw one for the first time yesterday. Picture over on the animal pictures thread. I thought it was a woodpecker too.

3 Likes

If you look closely you can see Little Pepper has siblings!! :hugs:
Keeping Up With The Capsicums” possibly…

19 Likes

Puntastic grocery store find.

23 Likes

Just now saw this. Chinese addresses are often like this, buildings generally have street numbers, but they’re not posted and no one knows what they are. Sometimes the address is more like directions, from such and such intersection, go 200 meters North, etc.

This is the first time I’ve seen one of these “addresses” written out in English.

6 Likes

It’s gotta be these guys, right? Can’t find the old ad, but they seem to like the baseball bat imagery. I’m guessing Maine folk catch the reference.

5 Likes

Radio towers and burned trees, Mount Lemmon.

Radio Nowhere, LLC

15 Likes

Common in Central America as well

5 Likes

Metro, Helsinki, Finland, today.

17 Likes

Wow. Now this one is just confusing. He’s well over the top, and has fun with it, but is this really what you want in an attorney? His website looks like an elaborate joke, won’t that put off the drunk-driving, flag-waving patriots that might need his service? I’m completely baffled!

4 Likes

Cowboy hat, fists, and song lyrics, what a great image. There’s just something about this whole slick and tough lawyer business that tickles me. And I think I’ve found your Looney!

Obituary from the UT Naval ROTC Alumni Foundation (https://www.utnrotcalum.org/alumni/d1943robertlooney.htm):

“Many people remember him as one of the state’s most flamboyant trial lawyers. Young lawyers and other persons were said to attend trials in which he was defense attorney just to hear his colorful language and see his dramatic antics. His entire life was The Law. He fiercely defended it and was intensely patriotic. He called himself “The Lone Wolf”, because many times his unique practice of law set him apart and at odds with other persons, including judges, in the courtrooms of the state. Associates often said of Bob’s law stance: “He was tough, but noble and he gave no quarter.” Friends recall his staunch loyalty, and remember he often quoted his father’s definition of a friend “as one who would stay in the river with you when the waters were high.” If he had a hobby it would have been composing songs and poetry, mostly of a religious/patriotic nature. Some of them were recorded or taped. His patriotism, like his law life, reached zealous and ardent heights.”

7 Likes