If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

Omega Electroquartz f8192

14 Likes

Cool! Love the weird battery holders and the Manhattan-style circuit board

10 Likes

Close-up of a Schefflera where the leaflets meet. What are these lines?

13 Likes

Clouds taunt us with false hope of one more rain before the long, scorching dry fast approaching.

12 Likes

I checked around with some friends, and I think this might just be part of the natural aging process for that plant. You might see similar on the more main parts of the stem?
I’m no expert, so I wouldn’t trust this 100%, but they seemed relatively confident.
Does the rest of the plant seem robust?

5 Likes

Final update on lettuce @j9c . It has been declared fit for human consumption.

15 Likes

Well done y’all!
:tada:

:confetti_ball:

I am impressed.

Thanks for the update.

10 Likes

Bossier’s glory-of-the-snow or Lucile’s glory-of-the-snow or something. Helsinki, Finland.

18 Likes

Texas, spring in full swing:
making a nest about a meter from my desk, hiding from the red-shoulder hawks, in some old fridge trays and a few salad containers (btw jays will eat an entire nest of hatchlings in 3 minutes flat, a horror I watched with my own eyes a few years ago)…

(pls excuse poor image quality; the double-pane gasketing is failing and the glass is fogging within the window itself)

we have a rough neighborhood and it is mating time after all, but ouch…

in eastern Tennessee last week, where there are far fewer deer to eat wild violets…

also last week, on the way to Memphis, Interstate 40 eastbound, that thing on the left is the cool pyramid which I regret we once again had no time to stop for, the bridge on the right helps us cross the Mississippi easily (dang I forgot how ridiculously wide that the river is, even this far north)…

17 Likes

Mempho! Be very, very wary of turning left after crossing the bridge…

5 Likes

DH at the wheel, explaining that we are running late and will not be able to tarry, so stop begging already…

[sigh]

It’s a doozy, yep.

We got our roadtrip car checked out by our mechanic before launch, and while I was there, I saw this parked at their “ready for pick up” lot, and got an eyeful–oh to drive a thousand miles to Tennessee in that… it is a rolling living room, the shocks alone would make the pitiful miles-per-gallon consumption nearrrrrrlllly worth it.

13 Likes

I think you mean gallons-per-mile.

8 Likes

As a former glazier, I want to make a recommendation NOT to listen to salesmen who claim they can rejuvenate older double-paned windows without replacing the panels. It’s just not worth it. It doesn’t last like the original, and you’ll wind up buying new panels anyway.

15 Likes

Palo verde in bloom

13 Likes

oh dear!
I am sneezing 2500 miles away!
when Tempe/Mesa would turn yellow with palo verde, mesquite and those godawful russian olive trees exploded with pollen, it would absolutely cripple me, shutting down almost all upper respiratory function!
never again!

7 Likes

So, one thing I learned recently is that, as maligned as mesquites and palo verdes are, they are actually not implicated in allergies. The rule of thumb is that insect pollinated plants produce large, heavy pollan in relatively small quantities, since they can trust in reliable carriers. It’s wind-dispersed pollan that causes allergies, typically grasses or things like ragweed, and these happen to produce pollan at the same time that the mesquites, etc. are blooming.

Flower size and color is a good indicator, white and very small flowers are likely wind dispersed, larger or colored flowers are trying to attract pollinators.

Ooh, and I missed on first pass: olives really are terrible for allergies, so much so that they are banned in Tucson.

10 Likes

This is a single strawberry I saw on sale at a fish market the other day in Ueno.
Exchange rate in USD is about $12.
The “expensive melon” market is relatively well-known I think
(I have seen them as high as $350; I’m sure more expensive ones exist)
For me, this was the first “one and only one strawberry at an extravagent price” I had seen in the wild.

17 Likes

I could be convinced that it’s $11.95 worth of packaging.

Wait a minute, are we sure this isn’t just a Yakuza money laundering trick? Because of it isn’t, then I want a cut for suggesting it.

7 Likes

Oh no…I thought it was a cake with a strawberry on top, should I have not eaten the pink bit?

13 Likes

5 Likes