If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

Without having custom photography gear many of these comets are hard to capture.

For example, this fantastic shot of Leonard is a composite of two 100-second exposures with a 12" telescope

https://spaceweathergallery.com/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=180903

The mark1 human eyeball will have difficulty resolving much better than a gray smudge

8 Likes

Hale-Bopp was a once in a lifetime comet though.

Here’s a panorama showing Hale-Bopp, and to the left is the enormous constellation Orion for comparison. And the comet wasn’t even at its largest or brightest at this point!

Astrostudio.at

Edited to add image, and link

10 Likes

So you know, Firefox warned me when I click on your link:

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to www.astrostudio.at. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

3 Likes

I got the same. Maybe I’ll post the picture and link back to the source instead

Done!

4 Likes

Your are right. It isn´t the case of a camera in hand and an idea in mind. I once read an interview with a professional astrophotographer. He had won several prizes and had all these wonder gadgets. Computers, telescopes, motors etc.

I tried once to use these image stacking software that serious astrophotographers use. The results were very, very bad.

Yes. It was very hard to tell the comet from the background. It looked like an object like Omega Centauri.

3 Likes

12 Likes

13 Likes

Landscapes of parks in Vilnius from a couple of recent walks.

19 Likes

A royal with the two polish swans! It amazes me that swans can winter in such cold climates.

12 Likes

10 Likes

River of Lights, Albuquerque NM

18 Likes

This was the best I could do while in motion, but for some reason there’s a cutout of Underdog on top of the building

(Dallas)

16 Likes

Aw! Cool!

the big dipper underdog GIF

9 Likes

75F+ yesterday. Tornado warning last night. First real snowfall in maybe 3 years tonight.

Heat lamps in the citrus igloos. Hope nothing melts or catches fire :grimacing:

21 Likes

Kailua Kona at dusk

14 Likes

Oooh, I think that is what meteorologists call an “occluded front”.

I could be wrong. I’m not a weather person.

8 Likes

We were literally picnicking here yesterday in shorts and tees!

No power now and trees down everywhere!

19 Likes

Same here. We hiked the Chapman Mill loop yesterday in t-shirts and today we have 10 inches of snow. 61 deg F yesterday, 30 deg F today!

11 Likes

Does this not happen on the reg for you? In central Texas, we usually have at least one 30°swing during the winter

5 Likes

The aftermath is pretty despite lots of trees down.

18 Likes