If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

Oh, cool! I thought it might be something like that but never heard of that series. Yes, Rebma is accessible at least daily here.

5 Likes

Cranes of Pea Island (Hernesaari) as seen from Dude Island (Jätkäsaari).

15 Likes

16 Likes

If only one could make a hybrid wheelchair-lawnmower, when I grow old I would definitely keep up with lawn maintenance. Or maybe even a wheelchair roomba, picking up dirt wherever I go…

10 Likes

View for a few days:

I’m not really a big city person. Now what?

16 Likes

Get out and walk and explore!

15 Likes

I suppose taking a look at St. Patricks would be a good start since its right there.

ETA: my daughter will send me a picture like this and see if i can identify location, date, and time of day the picture was taken. Fun hobby

15 Likes

Yup

Arrived this afternoon, doing that tomorrow while Kiddo and spouse go to a matinee (Broadway shows are not my thing). First time in NYC proper (airports don’t count), and my imagination is failing me.

13 Likes

The problem with NYC is that you can do ANYTHING there. So, narrow it down: what are you interested in? Museums? Parks? Architecture? Food? Drill down into that. But whenever possible, walk between things, don’t take a taxi/uber. See what you see.

9 Likes

NYC has a really active urban sketching club if you’re feeling like making some one of a kind souvenirs:

http://nyc.urbansketchers.org/

ETA, not sure why it looks like it’s linking to their shop. It’s a blog with dates and stuff for meet ups to draw al fresco.

Or if you need something special for St.Valentine’s Day…

Ive never been there, either. Jealous!

10 Likes

Head to Central Park. A nice place to make the transition or a unicorn chaser.

9 Likes

Before you venture out on the streets, prepare yourself with a large supply of cash dollars. Practice in your room by pacing back and forth. At each turn, peel off a fin or a Hamilton and throw it away. That will simulate the cost of being a tourist in New York.

/s… kind of

4 Likes

I’d be making a beeline for the museums. Any museums, from the Met on down to the weird stuff!

10 Likes

Is the room full of dirt still there?

ETA it is!

6 Likes

8 Likes

I would counter that by saying NYC is a great city to spend very little on (other than housing/hotel).

So many parks (big and small), even the smallest/cheapest restaurant by definition has to be of decent quality or they’ll go out of business quickly, free entrance to at least some cultural/architectural locations, the Staten Island ferry is a cheap way to get out on the water (you don’t have to get out at Staten Island, you can just turn around and go back), and the people-watching is exceptional. Go to Washington Square Park or Union Square with a snack or a drink and just enjoy everything that passes you by while you sit there.

11 Likes

Not sure if heading back to either home or Mt Doom tonight…

11 Likes

What if it’s just that you live at Mount Doom now?

5 Likes

Billboard for Mordor Realty: “If you lived at Mt. Doom, you’d be home by now!”

13 Likes

Lonely tree on roof garden waves “hi”

18 Likes