Ifixit flunks Apple's new educational Ipad as nearly un-repairable

This hasn’t been my experience. Other than occasional driver weirdness, it’s just Windows.

Not sure of what you speak, but all of our computers, Mac’s, Windows and mobile devices are required to have encryption and Airwatch MDM installed.

You are correct! I have no idea why I was thinking 128-bit, unless I was channeling the future. I’m sure that day will come.

1 Like

I think you are missing my point.

Google has regularly launched (or purchased) and then abandoned products. I work for a company that made a big investment in selling and integrating GSA and then we were dropped when Google management lost interest.

After that and reader and picasa, I will never trust Google to provide a service or product I depend on.

BoingBoing’s editorial malfeasance to edit their headlines when inaccurate makes comments like mine look dopey.

Yes, the headline originally stated IPOD. Not pad. Pod. As in iPod.

1 Like

I’ve used both but greatly prefer my Sansa E200 series with hacker OS ‘Rockbox’ loaded on it. It’s the sweet spot for music-only convenience.

2 Likes

It’s a relief to be honest because i was starting to sweat that i’d missed an announcement and was wondering what devilry they’d done now.

Apparently their latest devilry is… um… this. But no, the 128kpocalypse is still ahead of us. Yay?

This is not the future i imagined or wanted. :frowning:

No, i’m not talking about jet packs or flying cars.

First of all, Google didn’t abandon these products, their customers did, which is why they were retired. I’m sure if the demand for these products continued they would still be offered. But the point of the article is about how Apple products are designed so that if they break customers have no choice but to buy a new one or pay Apple for very expensive repairs.

It’s hard to compare Apple’s business model with Google’s, because Google is primarily a software company with very limited hardware offerings. But even considering the Google Search Appliance it’s hard to demonstrate they are guilty of the same thing that Apple is doing. Google announced that GSA was being discontinued in 2016 but support is still being offered though 2019. 3 years seems like a sufficient amount of notice to retire a product. Even so, they are not making anyone throw away the server after support ends; customers will just need to source the parts and service the machines themselves if they want to keep them operational.

I truly hope you work for Google, because if you defend their flaws this strongly for free…

I’d disagree that Reader and Picasa had no customers, but maybe I deal with a skewed sample.

What you say about GSA is completely untrue, though, and I say this as a former Google partner who sold and distributed GSAs for years. Google announced the EoL of the GSA in 2016 (without any prior warning to partners and resellers) and immediately - like within a day or 2 - every one of our contacts had been reassigned to other projects or left. We never could get renewal pricing for customers who wanted to renew their support for 2017 and 2018 while they looked for alternatives. I literally called and emailed Google daily for weeks trying to get quotes for a federal government customer who needed to purchase support for the rest of that period. I never received anything back from any of our parter contacts or sales people.

So what you are saying is misinformed at best and completely untrue based on my personal experience. Google may say they were going to support the device but they made it impossible to renew support contracts, so that statement was completely moot. And the hardware is almost completely worthless without software support and updates - so unless people want to resell the parts in there, they have a bright yellow boat anchor taking up space in their racks.

What I learned from this is never to rely on anything from Google again. I’m glad your experience has been better

I’ve set up exactly that with a RADIUS auth server before. We’re far off topic, but I’m wondering what the issue is.

Google was at GDC (I may write more about it later on my blog), and I wanted to pose them these questions as I wandered around. Google supplying infrastructure for games sounded great and all, but I kept thinking about Reader and how easily it went away in spite of the number of people using it.

I wanted to ask, why should anyone base their business or a any big project on Google’s services when it seemed so possible that those services could be killed off at a moment’s notice?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.