Ifixit repair kits: everything you need to fix everything

I was skeptical, but boy was I wrong, dangerously wrong. Having seen BoingBoing offers like this set of 15 iFixit jeweler’s screwdrivers for $59 (A $100 value!):

Includes 15 fixed-bladed drivers, eliminating lost & misidentified bits

I’ve been a bit wary of being charged high prices for the iFixit brand - but that was before I tried the $130 128-bit Universal Bit Kit that fixes everything.

The first thing I fixed was an old Elgin pocket watch. Thanks to the kit the watch finally kept perfect time, and it no longer needed winding. I was amazed! So, I decided to finally assemble that perpetual motion machine DIY project I bought as a joke. Thanks to the iFixit kit, the machine actually worked. It not only continued to move without need for outside energy, it produced surplus energy, which sounds like a great thing, unless that energy has nowhere to go. The machine went into thermal run away, and set my house on fire as it melted through the floor of my workshop, and the concrete slab. All that is left of my home is ash, and a 12" diameter melted, smoking hole. I don’t even have the watch I fixed anymore. I only hope that the repair to the perpetual motion machine was temporary, and that it stops working before it reaches the magma layer.

So. Lesson learned. The iFixit kit really does fix everything, for the low price of $130. But be careful what you wish for.

9 Likes