Insulin: why the price of a 100-year-old drug has tripled in a decade

Diabetics get free prescriptions anyway!

1 Like

Man, I was going to go with #Capitalism; but you nailed it.

2 Likes

If you need a getaway driver… well I can’t actually drive or anything; but I’m enthusiastic!

3 Likes

Yeah, you shouldn’t. No money in bank robberies. Money laundering is where the money’s at, and everyone apparently gets away with it, too.

7 Likes

I just picked up 6 vials of insulin not five minutes ago, at my HMO hospital pharmacy in Seattle. Three vials of humalog, three of lantus. Total cost: $210.

I have ACA insurance, purchased through the state exchange.

Once again:

Xenazine is the US trade name for Tetrabenazine. It’s an out of patent drug, developed more than fifty years ago.

In Australia, it was $38.80 per 112 pill bottle for me (a two-month supply). Were I on any sort of government support, it’d be $6.30/bottle. The government pays the drug company $338.60/bottle.

In the USA:

8 Likes

Don’t worry, after Brexit the US will be free to negotiate a contract on with healthcare in the UK and make something that’s fair for those poor, struggling pharmaceutical companies.

2 Likes

Of course, if I were in the position to do that level of crime, I would most likely be part of the problem.

Enthusiasm is the hardest part. The rest is just pedals and wheels.

5 Likes

The only observation that’s new here is the hashtag about Shkreli. Insulin is merely one of many necessary, even lifesaving drugs that are intentionally priced outside the reach of most Americans. My fiancée has a rare autoimmune condition that requires a drug that costs approximately $20/day or $600/month. She could get the exact same drug for a third that price from a veterinarian. Unfortunately, the vets are restricted to a maximum of a one-time, two week prescription. So, if the drug costs so little for the vet, why does it cost three times as much when prescribed to a human?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.