Insurance companies gouge on CPAP machines and consumables, use wireless modems to spy on your usage

I think it is one of those diseases that is a profit center for more companies than it used to be. Previously, it took a lot of sleep deprivation or low O2 stats to get a sleep test at a sleep lab. It cost me $1,200 of pocket to get one, a bad one at a crappy lab that I had to have re-written due to obvious errors. A good test would have cost me $5,000. And that was over a decade ago. Now they have pretty reliable home testing. And now there are relatively reasonably priced data recording, auto adjusting PAP machines they can just send you home with - no in lab pressure titration required.

The remote data telemetry that this BB Post is complaining about is what actually lets so many patients get treatment, and better treatment than they used to get when a few hours of non-representative sleep while wired up in a lab was used to set a fixed pressure on a PAP machine. The auto adjusting machines still need min/max settings adjusted depending on patient treatment results, and that can now be done remotely, making for much more efficient and accurate treatment for patients. The remote data mostly is a good thing that also has some negative consequences, such as when it is used arbitrarily for compliance rather than for optimizing treatment.

1 Like

Almost Cronenberg-grade nightmare fuel. I think that article is the first of three parts.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.