Ireland sits idly by as GDPR goes unenforced

They simply can’t do it. They are politicians.

1 Like

As a European internet user, I don’t feel that the GDPR is not enforced. The regulation only demands that the end user is informed about the use of personal data and given the choice to accept or not accept the use.

This happens in about every site I contact: before I can use the site, I am given several long pages to read with even more pages in the annexes and finally a list of about 150 data brokers to switch off individually. Sites like google will run the procedure anew every week unless I register and log in (which I don’t want). Others sites simply refuse access when I don’t agree to be tracked. Still other sites are simply blocked to all EU users with a page that they need to upgrade to be GDPR compliant (and have been for months).

So, yes: they comply with the GDPR and the consequence is that I do a lot less browsing than I used to. I am seriously considering writing a script to nuke all cookies once an hour. That would really put an end to the tracking nonsense.

The GDPR main problem is that it mandates corporations not to track you, but the same corporations have absolutely zero interest to let anyone use their services who does not agree to be tracked and force-fed more advertising than content.

I cannot watch the linked youtube video without agreeing to link youtube cookies with boingboing cookies for tracking purposes, my browser says. So I did not watch the video. What does it say?

1 Like

It’s a horse repeating “I can’t do it” in a very thick Irish accent while another horse is explaining he’s a horse, it’s like a two-foot puddle, you could walk through it, or even walk around it. It’s only one minute and 16 seconds long. You didn’t miss much. But it was amusing in its way.

I am sure it is amusing, I just found the message from my browser ominous considering the subject of this thread. It is also the first time I got this message on boingboing and I have watched youtube videos before.
In a nutshell: we are all used to post youtube videos, images, animated gifs found somewhere else. We don’t usually notice that these are actually links and are also used to track us, see what site we visit and what people we interact with online, etc… The reminder from my browser came timely.

Isn’t it obvious? Ireland -> Leprechauns -> Lucky Charms. The obvious racist joke, but it’s acceptable because it’s the Irish.

1 Like

Looks at name

american-gods-mad-sweeney-smile

The Irish (we) aren’t a race… a people, ethnicity, sure… but the Irish aren’t a race any more than the French or the Chinese are a race… Honestly, the Irish who left in the 19th century won out and whitened themselves quite a bit, and often participated in racism in their new homes. Bernadette Devlin McAliskey came stateside once during the 60s and was taken aback at the lack of support for the cause of civil rights among Irish Americans, and was angered at the outright racism of many that she met, who otherwise supported civil rights causes, such as in North Ireland. So it’s true that the Irish (especially in Ireland and the UK) faced much discrimination. It’s not true that in the modern day and age, this would be an example of racism. You might find it offensive, and that’s entirely your prerogative (especially if your Irish or Irish-whatever). But honestly, I tend to laugh this stuff off because no one is denying me or my family jobs because of our ethnicity.

Well, there is that ONE lady in Asheville, who is VERY racist against the Irish… but that’s pretty much it.

2 Likes

It smooths out some of the problems I had with the book. I wasn’t a big fan of the way the main character seemingly had no agency at all, even though I got the point of that. Most of the characters are significantly more fleshed out. I enjoyed the first season a lot.

What do you think of season 2. I watched a few episodes and wasn’t digging it as much so I figured I’d hold off.

Nearly everyone I know over there has a very limited, localised view of these issues. I was talking about some of this stuff with a couple of the cousins and I mentioned how Ireland has become a massive tax shelter.

And they were all “whoa whoa whoa. That was only apple and they pay their taxes to Ireland now”.

And I was all “yeah that’s the point. Companies pay tax in Ireland so they can hide income and avoid paying taxes in the US and other EU countries”.

It wasn’t that they weren’t aware of the issue. Just that that they weren’t used to looking at it that way.

The cognitive dissonance is real. “But what about jobs?” Is repeated over and over as an infallible refutation. When you point out the terrible state of public services, the vulnerability that relying on FDI entails all you get is a glassy eyed stare in response. Perhaps they are right–the dependence is shocking when you look at Ireland’s trade surplus.

Haven’t seen it yet… will do so once it’s out on DVD…

The response I got was more along the lines of “oh yeah”. And the terrible state of things like public services is one of the things they’re more likely to go on about.

Like I said very localised outlook on it. Seems to me that given all the shit that’s been happening on ground level in Ireland the last decade, especially the around the ecconoclypse and a certain roving disaster from across the water, they’re just focused on other things.

It wasn’t too long ago that the only people I knew over there who were working were a horse farmer who couldn’t sell a horse, and an architect who restores medieval buildings. And it seems to me like, now that things are better day to day, big picture and long terms concerns are just less in people’s heads than shit like “I can’t afford to buy a house, and there’s nowhere to rent, but there are vacant half finished houses everywhere”.

More like they don’t have the bandwidth to deal with it than they don’t know or don’t care.

Corkish. That’s a strong accent even for most Irish.

Oh, right in my heart!

Nah, I’m one of these horrible Irish Americans. Not a great Auntie one either, a real both sides of the family Celt (this should garner sympathy cards).

Anyway, my mother’s side is Boston Irish. You can trust them though, and completely…to fuck everything up they touch!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.