Irish police open blasphemy investigation into Stephen Fry for calling God an "utter maniac"

11 Likes

Hey Melchett - you still worshipping god? Last I heard, he started worshipping me! Ah HA HAHAHA HA!

15 Likes

I’d contend that a “blasphemy law” is an abuse of logic and reason on its own.

If your god is too wimpy to defend itself on its own without human help, then you’re pathetic for worshiping it, or dishonest about how powerful you think it is.

15 Likes

There is no god so, what is the problem?

2 Likes

Then WTF am I supposed to eat my soup with?

ETA: Sorry, wrong movie!

6 Likes

I’m reminded of George Bernard Shaw’s defence of atheism. He took out his watch, said “Right, God, if you exist strike me dead in one minute”. Then a minute later he put his watch away.

8 Likes

Done. Thanks for getting the ball rolling @dfaris!

5 Likes

I don’t think that has anything to do with the blasphemy laws though, in fact the last couple of prosecutions in 1850s were all related to Catholics burning Protestant bibles (so the law was being used to ‘protect’ the Protestant religion, though even then there were no convictions in those cases). If you go further back you can find some convictions, but they were usually against Unitarians, Puritans and Presbyterians, not a tool for persecution of Catholics. You have to go as far back as the 1300s to find examples of the law being used against the natives.

4 Likes

Fair enough. I’m just talking about the language that Fry is using, and how someone in Ireland might interpret it and why they might to do so. It will have as much to do with perceptions of the history of British as much as the reality of it.

1 Like

Perhaps God is testing Stephen Fry?

/religion logic

3 Likes

I don’t think that has much to do with it either, Fry is hardly seen as a figure of the British establishment (it takes more than posh accent, and he even played Oscar Wilde in a film). Also, the guy who complained in this case explicitly said he wasn’t offended by what was said, so there’s a good chance he made the complaint to simply highlight the stupidity of the law, others have done something similar by reprinting his comments, asking for themselves to also be prosecuted under the law (like with the reprinting of the Charlie Hebdo cartoons). It’s certainly possible there were some little old ladies watching who were genuinely offended (that’s the kind of audience Gay Byrne attracts), but I doubt it would have had anything do with his Englishness, and it obviously wasn’t enough of a problem to make a complaint.

6 Likes

Okay. Fair enough!

2 Likes

6 Likes

If you’re looking for a negative reaction from the Irish from something said by an Englishman, and something based in the historical issues you brought up, take a look at the comments on this article:

6 Likes

Of course we have a similar siluation here in the ol’ US of A.

Colbert defamed God Trump.

8 Likes

Thanks! I will.

Christ, what an asshole!

7 Likes

I suspected as much, without detailed insight. I couldn’t imagine the Irish legal doctrine could be exceedingly different from those of other European countries.

1 Like

I think you could shorten that to

4 Likes

Nice independent country you got there!

Be a shame if anything happened to it …

2 Likes