Is it better to read a book or listen to it?

Likely to be the only two books in the Kingkiller series :frowning:

I suppose that’s true for me, too, except I can’t stand to listen to audio books at 1x speed. Most narrators read fiction way too slowly for me. Granted, sometimes I just want to steep in the experience, but some narrators seem to read really slowly so they can cold read better. And they get paid by the hour (but I guess the narration speed is really determined by the producer/voice director, assuming the project has one).

I find that a bad or middling narrator is worse than text to speech, like reading a book highlighted by someone else. So I actually now prefer good text to speech over most narrations.

wait, what now? I mean, I know it’s been a while, but I was still hoping the last book was coming

Anyway, I kind of like spoken word pacing. So much of my life is rushed at maximum speed, I don’t mind slowing down a bit for a story.

which reminds me, did y’all know that Levar Burton has a podcast where he reads short fiction? He did Ursula Vernon’s Jackalope Wives and it is deeply good

2 Likes

Don’t get trolled. First draft was finished over a year ago. It’s in editing. Frankly, PR should just get Brandon Sanderson to finish it. :wink:

ETA: It would be done in time for the Holidays…

2 Likes

does anyone else read out loud to themselves ?

2 Likes

Somewhere in the reading is better logic I take it that in order to ‘really’ digest a decent podcast, I should wait until the written transcript is available in order to fully absorb the content.
As a lifelong devoted reader I had the nasty habit of falling asleep after an hour of reading. After becoming a voracious podcast listener a few years ago I decided to try audio books out as well and it’s been a revelation. I don’t know why folks above say that one can’t take in a non-fiction book on audio: granted I may not have absorbed every detail of Cosmosapiens that I recently listened to, but I doubt I would have made it through a sit down with the material. To each his own, but audio books have greatly expanded my breadth and amount of reading.

1 Like

He totally should get Sanderson to finish it. No reason to wait until Rothfuss is dead to hire him.

(Rothfuss famously sold us the original Name of the Wind book as being the first in a trilogy that was completely written, but being too long to release as a single book was divided up. Rothfuss promised that unlike other series that take forever to come out he’d release the sequels in his series on a yearly schedule after doing some editing. 11 years later we are still waiting for the 3d book. )

1 Like

For me… reading. While imagining the look of the characters, I add the sounds and intonations of their voices. Without any conscious desire, I place my stamp on the characters.They become mine. I get into them and the story.

3 Likes

I do, when reading poetry. Sometimes reading aloud helps when dealing with foreign languages, and improves my pronunciation.

1 Like

This is exactly why I avoid audiobooks - especially for works I’ve already read. I’m not able to turn off my inner voice(s), and listening to someone read to me using a single voice for everything is very irritating. I’ve found descriptions of works recorded by an entire cast, but that seems like going to a play and looking at the back of the seat in front of you instead of the stage. If the work was an actual radio production, maybe it would be easier to enjoy.

3 Likes

Also the format. If you try listening to a paperback or reading an audio file you’ll just end up looking like a jackass.

4 Likes

On the narrow point that literacy probably doesn’t do your average oral history skills much good it’s not obvious that he’s incorrect; it’s the dismissal of the virtues of having an approximate memory of where to look things up across a much larger body of knowledge compared to those of having a relatively small one immediately yo hand where things get blatantly moralistic.

2 Likes

My experience has been that the proximity to audible words is inversely correlated with how well I’m engaging with the subject. If I’m overtly reading aloud for anything other than an audience or to taste how a particularly elegant construction feels coming off the tongue something has gone wrong.

If I can I’m reading it to myself, silently but still conscious of the text as a series of spoken words even if not actually voiced, I’m bogged down and making poor headway.

When things are going well the awareness of the text as having a phonetic counterpart just sort of fades into flow. Not sure how that works; but you just lose the time and find yourself with a knowledge of the intervening text despite having no memory of having passed over it in anything but silence. Hard to describe.

You should be able to speed up the narration. I listen using Libby (free library audiobooks), and that works great, usually at like 1.2x speed.

1 Like

Absolutely. Did this book in my book club and encouraged folks to listen to the audio. Those who did, loved it. Those who read it told me it was too confusing and couldn’t finish it.

2 Likes

Audio books are great for my ADHD brain. I can clean, cook, play simple phone games and have story all at the same time.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.