Is it hypocritical for free speech advocates to moderate comments on their own site?

i disagree with this, and also with rob’s framing the issue as:

[quote=“beschizza, post:1, topic:85010”]
But unless it’s nationalized and operated as a state-run utility—as if!—Facebook will always have the last word on what you get to say on Facebook.
[/quote]

business have responsibilities that exist in exchange for their rights. this most often comes up in terms of discrimination of clientele, the cake shop refusing to cater to a couple’s wedding, restaurants which wont seat people because of their skin color, etc. but discriminating against speech, is another form of discrimination.

there is absolutely nothing stopping countries – other than entrenched corporate interests – in extending free speech protections to the web.

a website which creates a public space – to me – is not much different in this aspect than say, a large grocery store and its public space. the store cannot simply say “this is our land get off” – but must let all sorts of people in, and even must allow things like panhandling and proselytizing on its doorstep, if those things are not restricted in public space under local law.

we do not want to live in a world where the framing of the issue is: “i own it, i set the rules.” being in business means agreeing to rules, the public gets to set those rules.

6 Likes