Is it hypocritical for free speech advocates to moderate comments on their own site?

You people are hard to please.

I am just saying that in my network of friends, I rarely hear a “discouraging word”, and my closer friends are even better because we have similar likes and interests and similar ways of thinking.

No, they aren’t programed robots stroking my ego 24/7, but no one has killed one another yet, so we got that going for us. There are no limits to our speech, but I am sure decorum is keeping some of the verbal knives in check. But that really is the point, right? No one really wants to know what everyone really thinks about them. THAT would be hell on earth.

It would be awesome if we all lived in cookie cutter houses next to each other like in Edward Scissorhands.

Of course not. But I doubt you are close friends with people you are diametrically opposed to. And even if you are, I bet then they can still speak frankly about things you don’t agree with. Certainly on my FB feed I hear shit that is off my scale of agreeing with, but that doesn’t mean I don’t still have things in common with these people.

4 Likes