Is it hypocritical for free speech advocates to moderate comments on their own site?

I now have a proper saw to get through the wall built around it; but this is …

off topic.

19 Likes

Facebook operates on a scale that is many orders of magnitude larger than BB. You could argue that Facebook is approaching a de-facto monopoly of sorts on public social networking “expression”.

No such argument is remotely possible for BB. Until your service is world scale, and can be plausibly viewed as a public utility in practice, it has no obligation to represent “everyone” or otherwise present itself as a fair and equitable place where all speech has to be allowed, provided said speech does not literally violate the law.

Facebook’s tagline

Connect with friends and the world around you on Facebook.

BB’s tagline

A directory of (mostly) wonderful things

BB has always presented itself as a place for Happy Mutants. Not a place for every living human being, like Facebook.

17 Likes

Unless that’s your job, your opinion on the work product of other people has clearly been noted.

I can’t speak for other people with any authority. For my part, I think I’d like to discuss it with someone who discusses their own opinions as their own, and doesn’t play True Scotsman.

4 Likes

Good point

My opinion is based on research. Generally, people in freer societies are happier. Do you really need links to research on that? This seems fairly obvious, and out of everything I’ve said I’m surprised you’d argue that.

The thing you’re perhaps not getting is that the post isn’t pointing out that Facebook prevents free expression (except to remark that demanding otherwise is futile) – a fact that everyone already knows. The post was pointing out one specific thing that it prevented which illustrates weaknesses unique to Facebook.

14 Likes

No, but it can be hypocritical to criticize a sites policies when your own policies aren’t any better.

Comparing the two, I would say that FB has waaaaaayyyyyy more freedom of speech than BB. That doesn’t mean they are AGAINST free speech, it just isn’t the environment they are willing to deal with.

Also, the two formats are completely different. Simply put, unless you cloned Falcor 10,000x times and force fed them Mt Dew and meth to never sleep, there is no way one could cleanse BB with the dreck FB has to contend with.

Imagine a 5 star restaurant having to serve their meals as fast and to as many people as a super busy McDonald’s. It would be impossible. And yet you criticize McDonald’s that they aren’t serving their food the right way. Yes, technically your food is “better”, but McDonalds is “better” at doing what it does.

7 Likes

10 Likes

But what difference does that make?

ETA: (I may be coming across as a tad aggro, it’s unintended tho. Edited to reflect that but keep context. :slight_smile: )

1 Like

It’s all just words on the internet, so no difference at all, really.

2 Likes

I’m starting to sense something …

Would you say you are disappointed in Boing Boing?

15 Likes

We can get into specifics if really you want, but on multiple occasions you’ve commented on policies that limit free expression. You are a self proclaimed free speech advocate, and I consider you a leader.

After all this, I get it! Uncle! After today especially, I would absolutely do exactly what you do. I would advocate for free expression, but continue to moderate my forum. I am sorry I used the word hypocritical at one point, that was too strong a word. I would still say there is something ironic about it, but if we don’t agree on that at this point, we never will. Peace out.

1 Like

Free is a meaningless concept in this context. Rather, ask yourself “if I write words on this website, will those words be treated fairly and reasonably?”

I think this topic itself is evidence that they will.

15 Likes

It surely came as a surprise to me when I read that I had argued any such thing.

But “out of everything you’ve said”, most of it has had to do with what handicapped people, our hosts, and people who are patiently trying to explain something to you (other than me) were perceived by you as arguing against, with you, when they’re not. It’s you arguing that with yourself.

Please put down the strawman. Unless of course you two take requests, in which case I want to see the strawman breakdancing.

4 Likes

Complaining about How they do it isn’t the same as complaing That they do it.

Anyone can piss and moan about how someone else does something they themsleves do with precisely zero hypocrisy.

It’s not a John 8:7 “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.” question if Bescizzar complains about FB taking that photo down and being assish about their policy.

It’s much more of a “He that cast that really big rock that totally crushed her, man, what a fucking shitbag, I wouldn’t throw a stone that big, nothing bigger than a baseball amirite? Besides, it’d put my shoulder out.” kind of a thing.

edit - Oh and, stoning bad m’kay… the one I refer to was like 2ooo years ago but yeah, too soon too soon

5 Likes
9 Likes

Sorry; this was the closest thing I could find…

19 Likes

You’re a Wiz at this sort of thing.

13 Likes

You can pretty much express any opinion here. That’s different than being able to say anything you want.

12 Likes

Double Obligs:

5 Likes