Is this the end of owning music?

This is exactly what I was trying to say when I said “overall hassle” up ^ there. When you lay it all out like that, it really is a hassle, and I have plenty of excuse for when someone says something bogus like: “Can you get a couple of movies on the iPad for the kid to watch on the plane?” Which never means “pay for them on iTunes”, but rather “rip that DVD which is currently being used as a slime coaster”. Um, no.

2 Likes

Right up until someone swoops in and removes it, and then expects you to pay again for a “new” one. Or simply doesn’t make it available, because their license to license it to you expired.

You can’t do that to something that is a) not internet connected and/or b) I have physical backups. But anything pure digital can disappear with the next update.

4 Likes

I’ve ripped all our DVDs, but it was a huge project and nowhere near as painless or simple as ripping all our music, which basically involved launching Itunes and then feeding it a new disk whenever it spat out the old one.

1 Like

The dumpster? Seriously?

I really cannot understand this alien mindset that perfectly good things they consider useless or obsolete must be put out as garbage. We made quite a bundle of money selling our unwanted CDs to the local used music stores (we live in Toronto, so used music stores actually still exist here). What the used stores didn’t want went to the library book sale, or got yard saled, or got put out for free on the sidewalk next to our house (where it disappeared instantly). None of our music CDs got thrown out as trash.

As long as it’s DRM free and you have backups in case of sudden disk failure, yeah, I agree, the ebooks in our dropbox and the albums in our itunes library are “ours” just as much as the books or disks on the shelf.

5 Likes

Once we got the Prius with a usb port it has been a thumbdrive for the car.

3 Likes

Hard copy, in some format or another; always.

6 Likes

This though I have been bad with ebooks (thanks cory/humble bundle but I have multiple copies of those)
Though a lot of my music is ripped from the library system CDs.
Also I would bet more than a lot of the esoteric stuff I like isn’t available on streaming services.

1 Like

Cd sales are down, but vinyl sales are up. In fact several new vinyl pressing plants have opened up in the last couple years (Third Man, Furnace, Memphis, and IRP) to keep up with demand. Someone has started making the equipment again too (for about two decades vinyl plants had to hand tool replacement parts or cannibalize old machines.)

I don’t use streaming services. Maybe I’m a dinosaur too. But when I’ve used friends streaming providers (Spotify or Pandora) I’ve found them lacking. I’ve already spent years collecting cds and vinyl, and I ripped more than 1000 cds to my iTunes over the course of a year, so I can play what I want with no commercials from my ipod.

2 Likes

Okay. I guess my car has a hook up for my phone, but still… CDs.

2 Likes

Plus IIRC you can rip a basically perfect quality copy from a CD. DVDs, legality aside, aren’t very good quality given modern devices all display at least 1080p easily…

Edit: what is the max quality on a dvd? 720p?

1 Like

But I wouldn’t have any room left in the car…

2 Likes

I mean… I don’t bring ALL my cds at once… I choose several based on how long I’ll be in the car (and how much of that time I plan to listen to the news, etc), what my mood is, etc. Usually 2 or 3.

If we are going on a road trip, we tend to just load up a phone and hook it up instead.

2 Likes

Nope. Cassettes for the car. At least that was always my preference because it was easier for me to record LPs onto cassettes than rip the vinyl to cdr. Plus I could record over the cassette after I got tired of it. And when the summer heat decided it was time to destroy the cassette it forced me to finally jettison that tape.

Yeah, I ran into this problem for a while-- boxes of cds that caused anyone sitting in the passenger seat to grumble about “lack of leg room.” I have since whittled it down to one standard 30-count cd box filled with slim cases.

2 Likes

480p@60Hz, or 576p@50Hz

2 Likes

I’d love that, but newer cars tend to not have cassette tapes… makes me horribly uncool, I know…

3 Likes

(sigh) my last car cassette player was two vehicles back now.

Supposedly Subaru isn’t even offering CD players in their new cars anymore.

3 Likes

Really? Ugh…

I miss cassette tapes in cars, too… nostalgia is a hell of a drug! :wink:

4 Likes

My car has a CD player, which can be fun, but if I hit a big enough bump (or if the CD’S scratched up), it skips. Or I can plug my phone or Kindle in to the audio jack, but that’s distracting, so I don’t do that much.

4 Likes

You know, I have a newer car (2012), and I haven’t had that problem since I’ve had it…

3 Likes

I suspect it’s more of a CD issue. Seems like it’s the older, more beat-up discs that tend to skip. (That’s why I burn copies of anything I want to keep in the car. Between heat, cold, and getting dropped on the floor/sliding between seats, if one gets wrecked, I just make a new disc.)

2 Likes