Isaac Asimov on how to come up with new ideas

Gah, now you’re scaring the newbie :frowning:

3 Likes

I didn’t mean that was a bad thing.

1 Like

No. It’s good thing.
But now I have the attention of an expert, may i ask you a question?
(I have tried the FAQ)
My little Boots avatar has appeared by some miracle (to me). Can’t remember when I created it or what for - at least 5/6 years ago. How did BB find it?
Or have I created it on some kind of avatar homepage?
I know, proper noob question, but hey…

2 Likes

I’m as far as you can get from an expert. Usually as a new member you would have an avatar automatically assigned that was just the first letter of your username.

Is it possible you were a member before this site switched to Discourse for the comments in 2013? Or are you registered with that avatar on some other site that uses Discourse?

tl;dr I have no clue. @orenwolf, can you help?

3 Likes

Tek, I found it.
Something called Gravatar.
So long ago, forgot I even had it.
But thanks anyway…
I’m sure we’ll speak again soon.
Nice to meet y’all (:))

5 Likes

So Asimov is referring to Autistic and Neurodivergent people.

Check out Kary Mullis’s story about how he invented PCR. It’s a long, melodramatic tale of loneliness and isolation punctuated by a few key interactions and ideas. But it aligns with what Asimov proposed.

Welcome, Comrade! Here is your rake. Well, not “your” rake. “A” rake, which you may use for now.

1 Like

Thanks Wally, 'tis a lovely rake.

2 Likes

Wait till you see the brooms! I am assigned to windex and towels right now.

1 Like

Believe it or not, I am a self-employed gardener.
Show me the tools!

1 Like

I thought there was a permanent horticulture thread here… I would LOVE to discuss gardening stuff with you! And it was just silliness all the stuff I was saying about rakes. Funny and ironic, I hope, and not offensive.

Not remotely offensive.
I took it as a communist jokey thing, but then I have been known to pick up the wrong end of many a stick!
I’m no expert at gardening, mind. I had my own one-man business for a couple or three years, mostly maintenance etc. 90% destruction. But I still have a lovely allotment that I’ve maintained for the last seven years…
Gardening stories and stuff most welcome.
If there is a separate thread, by all means point it out, I’m new here and don’t want to piss off the mods with irrelevance.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.