Israel versus Palestine, Lebanon, aid workers, and journalists. 2023-24 misery and horror continues

Communications Minister Shlomo Karhi is promoting regulations that would allow him to direct police to arrest civilians, remove them from their homes, or seize their property if he believes they have spread information that could harm national morale or served as the basis for enemy propaganda

2 Likes

This makes it sound like they’re not accepting refugees fleeing for their lives for their own good.

I did not realize Egypt was so good at spin.

1 Like

If Egypt announced in advance that it would accept refugees, it would be accused of helping Israel by making the mass expulsion of Palestinians from Gaza possible. It makes sense to play hardball and send the message that forcing everyone from Gaza into Egypt is not a “solution” that Israel can rely on, even if it is.

6 Likes
1 Like

Countries have all sorts of reasons why they don’t want to accept refugees.

I just can’t remember a time when a country used the excuse that they weren’t accepting refugees for the refugee’s benefit is all. Usually it’s just some variation of “we can’t.”

1 Like

Yeah. Egypt is all like “New phone, who dis?”

https://archive.ph/w3Psy

Really? Iran really wants to eff around.

This is not going to end well.

1 Like

Hahaha (only not funny), it’s as if neighboring countries refusing to resettle refugees hasn’t been a crucial issue since 1948. Why, if I were the cynical sort, I would almost question what their motivations could possibly be.

2 Likes

source:
https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/news/israel-police-reporter-live-threat-b2430080.html

3 Likes
2 Likes

Toni Morrison’s 30-year-old Novel Prize

Just to give her due credit, it was the Nobel Prize (in Literature of course) that she won.

1 Like
4 Likes

BBC News - Gaza doctor: We consume a month’s medical supplies a day

1 Like

Lest people think child murders and mutilation don’t happen right here against the hated other.

I know I said I was not going to speak about any of this again but I am making an exception for this horrible sickening hate crime. This is why I think it is possible that brutal mutilations took place in Israel. But also why I think retaliation by Israel has amounted to war crimes. Because it’s not so rare. People become monsters when they are allowed/encouraged to become monsters. This is what Americans do to children after all

Some of them at least.

Some percentage of humans have this capacity at any place and time and it is on the rest of us to guard against it always.

1 Like
1 Like

https://archive.ph/N1kO6

reported extensively last year, the skies of the eastern Mediterranean are a global GPS jamming hub. The impact on satellite navigation systems is felt along the southern Turkish coast, as well as in Syria, Israel, Lebanon and Cyprus. This past year, the disruptions have increased, mainly affecting landing and departing passenger aircraft at Ben Gurion International Airport near Tel Aviv as well as the at Beirut airport and Cyprus’ Larnaca airport.

According to Eurcontrol, The European Organisation for the Safety of Air Navigation, the rise in GPS jamming “reduces the efficiency of the overall aviation system, places a higher workload on pilots and air traffic controllers, and requires complementary communication, navigation and surveillance services to be maintained to more demanding requirements, posing a serious potential risk to safety”. Eurocontrol claims the GPS disruptions are likely the result of systems used to prevent drone attacks.

Israel has previously claimed that Russian military systems in Syria were causing the interference, and the Israel Airports Authority recently reported “unknown actors, apparently outside of Israel,” were responsible for GPS interference.

2 Likes

There are 50,000 pregnant women in Gaza who are facing a “nightmare,” the UNFPA says

Allen said that about 5,000 of the 50,000 pregnant women are expected to give birth in the coming month, and some of them could face complications.

1 Like
2 Likes

I’ve been seeing some extreme zoom cam feeds coming from the strip and I’m sure they have too.
It’s no wonder they want to snipe them.

(image not from Israel)

2 Likes

More Harvard fallout

https://archive.ph/nrO81

2 Likes