John McCain's daughter was the reason 'The View' was toxic

No worries. Now I just realized that once one gets this far down in the weeds of comments it becomes hard to remember what the original topic was. Mea culpa.

6 Likes

Being anti-trans anywhere is simply the position of a complete asshole, fuck if I care for their party affiliations or political beliefs.

TRANS RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS.

15 Likes

No intention of gaslighting here.

The point being raised by @mindfu , as I understood it at least, is that Altemeyer’s research found that authoritarians and their adherents tended to be heavily right-wing.

You, @the_borderer , noted that there are also left-wing authoritarians.

Mindfu acknowledged that idea, then clarified that from a standpoint of popularity in our current state of politics, right-wing politicians who espouse authoritarian ideals and talking points far outweigh those with authoritarian notions on the left.

Your follow-up to illustrate your point was to link to an article wherein a centrist-left politician was being embraced by the right-wing for holding a specific set of views commonly associated with the far right-wing.

My response was intended to point out that your linked example didn’t really follow the assertion of left-wing authoritarians, but instead backed up Mindfu’s, and thusly Altemeyer’s, original point.

It’s not that you don’t have a valid (and important) point on your end (especially with regards to transphobia); it’s that it appears that you’ve conflated two different points into one point, which means it doesn’t fit the thread of the original argument (by Altemeyer) and that makes your argument come across as disingenuous (not that it is, that’s just the way it reads). Which is unfortunate, again, because you have a valid point.

I do apologize, though, for coming across as snarky or mean-spirited; as well as any confusion I created.

1 Like

There are plenty of people who describe themselves as leftist who are transphobes and do things to harm us.

Just as there are plenty who are or were homophobic or misogynist. Or racist- but union members etc.

13 Likes

There are plenty of left-wing people who are homophobic and anti-trans. And of course there is an authoritarian left… I mean…

As for this particular issue, there are plenty of TERFS who actively identify as being on the left. The whole movement is made up of people who call themselves radical feminists. Being on the left doesn’t automatically confer a basic sense of humanity.

see schitts creek GIF by CBC

9 Likes

Of course the unqualified nepotism hire brought on to make confrontational television was a source of conflict on the set. Just as unsurprising is her insisting that she is being silenced for being a conservative, rather than realizing that her ties to the conservative power structure is why she’s been employed her entire life. Whether we’re talking about blogging for her father, a six figure book deal after a few months of columns, her awful talk show or her time at Fox and the view.

4 Likes

There are plenty of left-wing people who are homophobic and anti-trans. And of course there is an authoritarian left

Sure, agreed all around. Never disagreed with in the first place, in fact.

My point is that it’s interesting to consider the high degree of overlap of wounded narcissism, right-wing politics and authoritarian followers.

And also I do think it is also important to note that for the past 50 years and in the developed world, right wing authoritarians have been far more numerous than left wing. This is not for congratulations purposes, but to stay aware and monitor the bigger problems we have. Rather than, among other things, slip into the danger of false equivalence when the bigger problem has more guns.

For an effect this significant, there must be causes. If we can find out likely reasons for those causes, we can help predict and ideally reduce authoritarian problems from right, left, or any other direction.

Anyway, that’s my take on things.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.