Keeping it light -- what TV shows do you find unwatchable?

Walking Dead was my guilty pleasure, but I finally gave up on it mid-season. Yes, it was getting a bit better. Yes, they were just meeting Negan. But…

9 Likes

Can we get a normal gay relationship as oppose to lust lust and more lust.

One of the things I liked about Sense8 was that the only people with stable relationships were the gay characters. Lito and Hernando have some problems, sure, but they’re in a better place than Kala/Rajan/Wolfgang. And Nomi and Amanita are rock solid.

However, the show does like its telepathic pansexual orgies so … maybe not quite what you had in mind.

5 Likes

I gave it a fair 3-episode shake, but I’m finding Legion unwatchable.

3 Likes

That’s a good point. I never thought of it that way before, and I liked Smash (not for the drama, for the excellent singing). In general, musical variety shows don’t do well on TV anymore, after many decades of everything from Jack Benny to Lawrence Welk to Carol Burnett. It’s a cultural loss.

5 Likes

I’m leaning that way too. Same for Taboo, Hardy chewing up scenery doesn’t make up for the muddy storyline. I’ve read enough history & historical novels of the period to know that a few barrels of gunpowder wasn’t that hard to get. Even in the unlikely event there was none on the market, the system was notoriously corrupt, as the depiction of the EIC accurately shows. You could bribe an admiralty supplier or the quartermaster of a warship, they could go through a few barrels just in one broadside.

Tried the pilot of Imposters, way too silly. They invested over a year for $1.3m? With “Charlie” getting the lions share? People that clever could have done better at real jobs, or legal theft on Wall Street.

1 Like

My wife loves The Goldbergs. It’s got its moments. But a LOT of yelling. Particularly the older brother, the father, and the sister in that order. Shows with lots of yelling get taken down several notches. I get enough yelling in real life.

Edit: It’s weird how the yelling is still there even when I turn the volume down. It’s just less loud yelling.

2 Likes

I really don’t like Glee. It is mean spirited dressed up as sassy.

9 Likes

Jane Austin has really well constructed plots. The best update is the Bollywood take Bride and Prejudice which swaps Indian arranged marriages as a great modern stand in for the conventions of Austin’s time. Really cleverly updated, great Bollywood dance numbers, and two genius comic performances.

3 Likes

I agree. The thing that got me was Ryan Murphy’s earlier show Popular (which in many ways is kind of a proto-Glee) managed to be witty, smart, and very funny without being mean spirited.

I was looking forward to Glee based on the goodwill from Popular and boy was I let down by how dumb and nasty it all was (and it never got better).

ETA I don’t know if any streaming services have it but it’s worth a watch if nothing else for seeing a very young Christopher Gorham.

3 Likes

I just started and finished Sense8 and I couldn’t figure out whether the gayness was too much or what…It was…I don’t know…I couldn’t turn away, I was confused, amazed, but not disgusted. They tricked me!

3 Likes

and why the heck did they replace the African dude!

Right? Capheus’ appeal to me was his baby-faced sunniness + love of Van Damme. Now he’s a big burly guy who looks like a martial artist and not an adorable ray of sunshine.

1 Like

Exactly! I think him and the Asian woman had good chemistry going, and then they replace him. His acting was sincere, naïve, and fresh and matched his co-stars, So far I don’t like this new guys acting

1 Like

I read that they agreed to him backing out over undisclosed “creative differences” with his role. Unconfirmed word on the street is that he refused to do any of the same-sex makeout scenes, even though he knew up front that the role included them, but that might just be an obvious guess. If so, I think that’s unprofessional, but who knows?

The new actor threw me off for about the first half of the episode, but so far he’s growing on me.

1 Like

I would have disagreed too. The studio has the right to can him, but realistically everybody doesn’t need to be gay or express tendencies; even psychic wise. I get it, I feel what you feel and you feel lust for another man, I should have the right to be uncomfortable, as a character, to try and fight it lol. They could have used that as some comic relief. This is what I mean by shows making things gay because its popular…Scandal, How to Get Away with Murder, The 100, Sense8, FUCKING Gotham (REALLY PENGUIN), Lemony Snickets, This is Us (love it), One day at a time (like it), Taboo, the OA, SHADES OF FUCKING BLUE (Great show), Billions, and these are just the shows I watch so there has to be a ton more. I can honestly say there are more gay characters on TV right now than non-white characters. where gay is 3% of the US pop and non-white is 30%

2 Likes

I am so slow…I am just now getting the irony of this patch HAHA…I need that on a tshirt

2 Likes

I think the idea for the characters in Sense8 was that they’re really all pansexual they just don’t know it yet? Which I’m not enamored of. What I did like is that there’s 4 men and 4 women in the group, and Nomi’s womanhood is simply never questioned.

5 Likes

The one thing I didn’t like was Nomi is just not that good an actress. (Also my friend auditioned for a role and didnt get it but they totally stole her look for the role. “They didnt like me just my hair.”)

5 Likes

I noticed the Nomi issue to. I am not a fan of her acting either, as its very forgettable. I literally had to google her just now. I was telling a friend about the show yesterday and I couldn’t for the life of me remember who the 8th was…Nomi. Her circumstances (story) aren’t as situational(ly) extreme as the others. I don’t know if that because I am American so anything foreign is rememberable or just her story is ehhh.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.