King of Kong also the Prince of Pac-Man

Between Billy and some of the other regulars, there was poor sportsmanship, if not underhandedness. They certainly rolled out the unwelcome matt for the new guy, but it’s hard to tell how much of it is narrator bias when you’re watching a documentary.

1 Like

I got a chance to play America’s Most Haunted at the Texas Pinball Festival this year. I didn’t understand at the time exactly how rare those machines are, and there was so much to see there,that I don’t have any direct appreciation of it. I didn’t get an opportunity to try out their Rob Zombie pin since I didn’t want to wait in line for it. I would definitely like another chance to play both of those and the Domino’s one if I can.

I did wait in line to play both Wizard of Oz and The Hobbit. I really liked the use of color on Oz, and I got a kick out of the ruby slipper shaped flippers. The Hobbit reminded me a lot of Medieval Madness, even in that it includes a mode where two heads pop out of the playfield and you have to hit them. I liked them well enough, but I would certainly be cautious about pre-ordering from them given their history. That’s a bummer about the maintenance on Oz. I think one of the venues here had one for a while, but either sold it or took it out of rotation at least in part because of maintenance issues. In any case, they didn’t learn their lesson either since I’ve got a Hobbit launch party scheduled there soon. Hopefully your friend will be getting hers soon as well.

Check out Heighway Pinball if you aren’t familiar with them. I got a chance to play Full Throttle in Texas, and it played well. The platform they’re building has some potential.

2 Likes

Oz is an utterly beautiful pinball machine, but I can’t believe how ambitious it was. This was their first pin, and it’s insane! Full video backboard! Hundreds of multicolor LEDs! Two separate mini-playfields! A tiny video screen inside a crystal ball! It’s no wonder it’s so delicate. Looking forward to seeing Hobbit someday.

Spooky was smart: “Hey, we’re just getting started and we’re making these things by hand, so let’s keep it kind of simple, 3D print the playfield, and focus on making it fun and durable and inexpensive.” Their success sort of overwhelmed them, I think.

1 Like

He really was more of the villain in The King of Kong. I suppose he could be considered the more compelling protagonist, but…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.