Legal experts not impressed by the bogus threats Zillow used to silence real estate blogger

I’m surprised that there is not a word for constantly hearing about great internet content after it gets silenced.

6 Likes

I wasn’t a fan of the original site (seemed a little too much like the gatekeeper of others’ joy to me – if I want skylights in my turret, I don’t give a damn if you don’t like it), but this is obviously a bullshit claim. You can’t assert a copyright you don’t own, and fair use allows people to create satire. Fie on you, Zillow.

I like the listings with awful photos that seem to have the aim of discouraging buyers from even considering the property. Often, these have been on the market for years, and at asking prices that fluctuate between “way too high” and “way way way too high.”

1 Like

Update:

9 Likes

One can only hope EFF crushes them

3 Likes

[quote=“lava, post:11, topic:103618”]
But they should really keep their lame estimates to themselves, and stop meddling in every real estate transaction in the country.[/quote]

All value estimates are problematic. I once had a (big) local real estate firm ask me for professional help with their formula, I was shocked at how simplistic it was, though of course it makes sense that it would be based mainly on static measurables.

1 Like

You would only need to ‘open up’ to satire if the default were ‘satire forbidden’; which it isn’t.

A private individual of no public interest whatsoever might have an easier time arguing that things are veering into protective-order territory; but arguing for your privacy interest in publicly listed photos would be tricky; and while it is considered good taste to focus on the sins of the prominent, saying mean things about the taste of commoners is just as legal.

Maybe you could work ‘tortious interference’ in? That seems to be a popular one for C&D demands; plus it sounds cool.

1 Like

Barbara Streisand to the white courtesy phone, please.

4 Likes

I disagree after noting that mine has gone up significantly. Of course the ‘corrections’ to the entry may have something to do with that.

1 Like

The problem with professionals is that they really do not case about getting the best price for you. They do much better if they get you to lowball the price so it sells in hours rather show fifteen times and get you $50K more. They do much better selling two homes for $400K each than one for $450K.

It is a totally stupid, corrupt system.

2 Likes

Exactly, this will assure that McMansionhell will be around for a long, long time.

Languishing? Most of those houses are not for sale.

When I’m asked to insure somebody’s house, I generally use the County Auditor’s site for certain data, but in some counties it’s poor or doesn’t exist at all. I can use Zillow to at least look up square footage, age of the house, whether there’s a deadly swimming pool, or worse, a trampoline.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.