Liberalism ouside of the USA

Interesting. I suppose my question is whether it’s possible to do that without ending up with something ultimately looks a bit like a state.

By the way, do take a look at that paper I linked to on the generalized core design principles.

Mine from earlier, too. It was the Landlords, land ownership, and politics thread

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 13.30.47

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 13.32.24

PS did you see there is also a ‘rightvalues’ test. Some awful spelling/grammar errors in it (to be expected :wink: ) and some of the questions are just what you’d expect but it is an interesting counterpoint to the leftvalues test, even if you might end up shouting at the screen about the premise of some questions.
https://rightvaluestest.github.io/

2 Likes

WTF, it thinks that reactionary is culturally left wing. Did the French Revolution not happen in their universe or something?

Reform vs. Conserve (Cultural)
This is Liberal vs Conservative in other words. The Cultural Left is left-wing culturally, supporting things like LQBT and Abortion. The Cultural Right wants to preserve culture and usually do not support the legalization of weed or abortion.

And what is going on with those colours? Are they deliberately trying to make it hard to interpret? I’d say that it is broken, but I think it is designed to break for people like me.

It did think I was a Geo-Libertarian, which is about as close as it was going to get. It also suggested anarcho-primitivism :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting: :skull:

1 Like

I thought you might find it ‘entertaining’. :wink:

1 Like

From that:

Liberalism in modern times has descended into Post-Modernism.

That is not a statement you can agree or disagree with because it makes no sense.

5 Likes

Liberalism is based on the idea that the best societies are built on a social contract–by endowing each individual with certain concrete rights, a just society emerges from the interactions of these individuals.

Postmodernism is the rejection of metanarratives. This seems like a good fit–the interaction of competing narratives-- but emergence is a metanarrative, and it probably isn’t that true.

Jean­François Lyotard probably has something relevant to say here, but I haven’t yet read him.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.