Listen to vinyl anywhere with this extremely portable record player

I get the bill-paying thing, but wouldn’t this have been better marketed as “a fun thing to do with one of the 37 copies of some over-abundant record from the thrift store”? Sure, you can watch a youtube video reviewer explain how bad it is in a variety of ways, but c’mon, don’t you want to see how it works in person? Play with it? Unless someone has taken great pains to record in full surround sound how it plays, you can’t begin to recreate how this spinning around and around could sound in person.

That’s a way to sell a product. “This is terrible! Buy one and see how terrible it is for yourself!”
[insert gif here of Data from Star Trek saying how much he hates a drink but asking politely for another]

7 Likes

I would not buy this but I am actually pretty impressed if it even only works badly.

2 Likes

yeah they are LO-FI and they will probably scratch up your records. But it’s a novelty. No one buys a thing like this to legitimatley play records all the time. It’s a fun little gimmick. you buy it for the fun of it. maybe don’t use it on valuable records. I’m sure if you have a vinyl collection of any size, you’ve got a couple beat up worthless records you could use it on.

Dear God, what is wrong with BoingBoing? Are you that desperate for revenue that you’re just re-typing press releases?

This isn’t an “audiophile” anything, as five seconds on Google will confirm. This is a novelty that sounds like crap and damages your records, and promoting it on your website does a lot of damage to your credibility.

3 Likes

audiophobe more like

2 Likes

It seems like it should be possible to use a technology similar to an optical mouse to play back a record without actually dragging a sharp piece of metal over it. I’m sure someone will complain about how it loses it “warmth” or “soul” this way, but I bet it wouldn’t be too hard to get it to the point where even audiophiles can’t tell the difference in a double blind test.

3 Likes

I’m disappointed that the sound track doesn’t appear to be generated by a needle on the car playing scraps of audio from the track.

There ought to be a division of saleable goods which cannot be judged to be a joke ‘SNL’ product send-up or really for sale. And for which i’d proudly nominate this one, (right down to the soothing voice narration on the ad).

Tell me that someone already has a service (or too expensive device) by which a laser of sufficiently narrow wavelength scans an entire vinyl record and so retrieves, easily within vinyl tolerances, all the position data of the undulations therein? And that should sensibly suffice for all time; barring, of course, any passing gravity waves as per an avid ‘audiophile’.

2 Likes

It might not appear to be but yes it is :slight_smile: tho via some effects, and probably with some motor noise in there too

1 Like
5 Likes
1 Like

Enkling the younger scored a stereo set-up at a garage sale for $20
incl:
turntable, amp, equalizer, cassette decks cables and cabinet
a neighbor got excited about an actual vinyl set-up and gifted him 4 speakers
$20!

First album? Yes: Fragile (he played The Fish 3 or 4 times in a row once the whole side had played)

When Halloween rolled around we put a Screamin Jay Hawkins vinyl best of on the platter

7 Likes

Weight: 3.2 oz (91 gm)
The average LP record weigh about 120-150 gram … without sleeves and cardboard!

“Frequently bought with”:

Telescopic handle on a reinforced trolley-board system
Holds approximately 90 records
Extra-thick removable 1" padding all around
Removable padded shoulder strap
3 additional exterior pockets for headphones, needles and other accessories

1 Like

As a novelty product, OK. As far as either an “extremely portable” means of enjoying music or as a means of enjoying vinyl it seems to be lacking.

You want extreme portability get an iPod nano. You want vinyl then get a proper turntable.

2 Likes

That would get rid of skips, hiss, and maybe even dust on the LP. But it still wouldn’t improve dynamic range. The best scratchings of an analog track into a piece of plastic will never match the best digital recordings. Not when it comes to accuracy.

1 Like

Isn’t the compressed range part of the “warmth” or whatever?

3 Likes

Exactly. Which is fine, if that’s how you want to listen to music. But you can use a DSP to apply any kind of distortion you want, and you can do it to a source that will never scratch, never break, never degrade. Make any music you want sound as “warm” as you want.

4 Likes

This thing is ridiculous. I do wish there was a current producer for something like this, though:

https://www.gearogs.com/gear/3557-audio-technica-sound-burger

Any patents have long since expired!

2 Likes

I still enjoy my 1st generation iPod Nano from time to time, but Apple stopped making the Nano as well as all other iPods except for the iPod Touch in 2017.

More and more, these BoingBoing product tie-ins convince me I can’t trust BB for anything.

Is there NOTHING you folks won’t hype up here? Now I don’t trust (at all) the VNC service you sold me, because of reading stuff like this.