Magical History Tour

2 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

You might be interested in the Story section of the U.S. equivalent:

tl;dr: having an Enigma machine and code book made all the difference, but it required tough choices so that it wouldn’t be obvious too soon.

3 Likes

So that’s where it ended up!

2 Likes

My mother served at Western Approaches HQ (Derby House) on the reception desk with another Wren, checking IDs of anyone who visited. The pistol they had under the desk was the Allies’ last line of defence against Nazi spies and assassins. She always found this hilarious.

6 Likes

True enough, but the website somehow fails to mention that the Royal Navy had already captured an Enigma machine and codebooks when they boarded U-110 in May 1941, over three years before the U-505 was captured.

The movie U-571, depicting a similar event, is utter bullshit.

4 Likes

Don’t worry: it’s mentioned in the actual exhibit, along with other info about Bletchley Park, etc.

4 Likes

Wow. That reminds me of that scene in Three Days of the Condor when the assassins mow down everyone at the CIA house. The older receptionist takes out a semiautomatic handgun that was no match for automatic weapons.

3 Likes
4 Likes

ludacris-atlanta

4 Likes

[ETA - since more than 2 in a row is not allowed, I’m adding another, unrelated link here]

8 Likes

Crooks posting in misogyny.

4 Likes
5 Likes

grumpy-cat-good

2 Likes

Sound the alarms!!

Shocked Family Matters GIF

:grin:

2 Likes

I put this in the Critical Race Theory thread, but am putting it here as well…

5 Likes

Germany lifts restrictions for descendants of Nazi victims to get citizenship

About time, too… and it kinda took Brexit to get it done.
History just never stops, does it.

6 Likes

It’s almost as if there is no End to it

2 Likes
2 Likes