Magical History Tour

7 Likes
6 Likes

The first half of this is about the Atlanta Race massacre, which started 117 years ago yesterday…

The documentary they’re talking about will be posted in various places after October 1st…

7 Likes

1591489-59316-756x425

6 Likes

2 Likes

I never was able to finish the series. Luckily, archive.org has it dubbed in English. :metal:

2 Likes

Lain is easily one of my favorite anime series of all time… Just wonderful, weird, cyberpunk stuff - as cyberpunk should be…

4 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes

The concrete thing is interesting: having a bit of un-reacted material in it feels intentional.

I think there are always other factors in play, and some rules to consider if you want your monument to last. :thinking:

Avoid building on a flood plain. Don’t let subsequent generations use the monuments as marble quarries, the cladding is there for a reason. You could say that not getting your city sacked is a good rule in general, and (in a modern context) avoid using monuments as ammo dumps. Putting things back up after the earthquakes helps, even if it’s not a perfect restoration by modern standards, or build things in Spain, where earthquakes are less frequent. Other than that, regular maintenance and the occasional re-purposing seems to go a long, long, long way. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Edit: For smaller, culturally stable stuff, like houses or pubs, just keep using and maintaining the building, and you can let it hide in plain sight. :grin:

4 Likes
2 Likes

I’m looking forward to more of this…

5 Likes

Already bought copies for my kids. One of our Christmas gift rules is at least one book, so I’ve got that covered now!

5 Likes
5 Likes

When push came to shove he knew what to do, though:

Bernhard’s past ties to the Nazi party are difficult in the Netherlands, given the legacy he built during World War II itself.
He seems to have cut ties to the NSDAP organs, albeit not to some personal acquaintances in Nazi Germany, on moving to marry — and during the war he asked to stay behind in London, not to join his wife in the relative safety of Canada, to contribute militarily.
Bernhard had hoped for an intelligence posting, but Allied commanders seemed too wary of his past connections for such a sensitive position.
King George VI, also with family roots in Germany and a friend of Bernhard’s, urged Winston Churchill to consider Bernhard for some kind of position. A World War II intelligence officer by the name of Ian Fleming, better known now as the author of the James Bond novels, was assigned to vet the prince.
Bernhard eventually became part of the Allied war planning councils, and flew as both a fighter and bomber pilot with the British RAF in several theaters under the alias “Wing Commander Gibbs.”
He helped organize the Dutch resistance movement and acted as personal secretary for his wife’s mother, Queen Wilhelmina, who also stayed in London during the occupation of the Netherlands.

7 Likes
7 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes