Maine gunman's brain had suffered "profound damage" consistent with his eight years as a grenade instructor

Yes, but some of them don’t train.

2 Likes

So potatoes are good for brain health!

11 Likes

I live in Manchester Township, New Jersey, not too far from where Fort Dix has their artillery training. A few times a month, it gets really noisy here, and I am several miles away. It’s noisy enough at my house that it freaks out one of my dogs. They even publish a monthly noise calendar for local residents, although they haven’t posted March’s yet for some reason. I can only imagine what it’s doing to the soldiers who are right there where it’s happening.

14 Likes

Sad on so many levels. This is the statement that got me: “The delicate tissue sheaths that insulate each biological circuit lay in ‘disorganized clumps,’ and throughout Mr. Card’s brain there was scarring and inflammation suggesting repeated trauma.”

6 Likes

Reminds me of this horrific story of the artillery men in Iraq who have experienced tremendous rates of suicides, hallucinations of Iraqi ghosts, and other mental health issues.

https://archive.is/kjMNN

7 Likes

I’ll take this moment to point out that the bill allowing mentally ill veterans to keep their guns was passed by a majority Democrat Senate. This is not just an issue with the GOP. Even Democrats lack any spine to stand up to the NRA, even after finding out that it is a front for Putin’s bribe money.

7 Likes

:angry: CET, FAS, and heavy metal pollution, especially tetraethyl lead, have got a h**l of a lot to answer for.

The :sweden: Archer System guns seem to have an autoloader. At the least that would let crews use the quick fix: that shock wave will go down with distance ∝ 1/d². That squared part makes a difference quickly.

When I was a kid you had to listen carefully to tell if it was CFB Petawawa’s artillery or the 7 foot thick ice on the Ottawa River making the distant booming noise (except in the summer, obviously).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.