Man attacks the Wall Street bull with a banjo, leaving big gashes

Bronze is pretty soft stuff, and as the post mentions banjos are pretty beastly. Plus I seem to remember this thing requiring repair/restoration before thanks to weathering or damage.

Those make a little more sense given how sentences work here, where you often don’t serve the whole thing and there are multiple ways to get out early. You start looking at major crimes of the past, serial killers and what have. And you see a surprising amount of people getting sentenced to effectively the rest of their life for the sort of shit you seriously don’t want wandering around the street. And yet they get released in like 7 years.

So the idea is to stack up multiple sentences, and force them to run consecutively. So that even if some one serves the absolute minimum on each it still keeps them locked away forever. It would make more sense to update our whole approach, and most of the time there’s really no call or point to applying that. But there is a reason for it beyond an impressive headline.

6 Likes

Oh my god - It’s HOLLOW! IT’S HOLLOW! My whole world has been tipped on its edge!

14 Likes

Pull Yourself Up By the Bullstraps

6 Likes

It’s bronze foil over chocolate.

21 Likes

Huh, I was expecting an acoustic guitar.

el-kabong

17 Likes

What the heck kind of banjo is that!? Looks flat and like it has pegs sticking up from the drum head? Maybe something about the angle is confusing to my eye…

5 Likes

i can’t believe people are making light of what should really be viewed as a national tragedy, that this is the point we’ve reached in our discourse as a nation that the wonton destruction of a sacred piece of art is being celebrated by some of you folks is just disgusting and isis-level barbaric. i mean, i get that it’s not everybody’s cup of tea, quite controversial, and angering to many, but a banjo is a carefully crafted instrument full of deep meaning and cultural heritage.

30 Likes

18 Likes

You aren’t the only one.

Edit: I happen to love banjo. It requires a great deal of skill to play well, and has a long history in American folk music. Like much of American history, the history of the banjo is peppered with cultural appropriation, innovation, and occasional transcendence.

5 Likes

I was wondering the same thing. Must be some kinda “stunt” banjo.

2 Likes

I actually quite like banjo music when played well. Just a funny thought. Banjo is sort of a common butt of jokes. I was listing to some talk show where they made fun of a banjo then later had a country music person (star?) on and asked, somewhat sheepishly if he liked the banjo, aware that he probably heard the rest of the show. He said something like, “Do you know what perfect pitch is? It’s when you toss a banjo in to a dumpster and it lands on an accordion.”

6 Likes

There’s a metaphor in there somewhere I’m sure…

1 Like

Yet no road raging driver is ever charged with the same criminal possession of a weapon.

eta: or there are so many incidents that the small number of charges are lost in the noise.

2 Likes

Clearly, this man was commemorating 9/11 at the site of the Bowling Green Massacre!

3 Likes

I assume you’re joking, but, just in case: almost every cast metal sculpture you see is hollow.

3 Likes

The banjo - the last resort of the antisocial.
– Eric Idle

6 Likes

I deliberately came here to see Bob Pinciotti.

Leaving satisfied.

2 Likes

21 Likes

Ironic given that it began as guerilla art…

9 Likes

4c3ffdc865077e672d4c593cec9fa81adda552b6_1_690x388

14 Likes