Marjorie Taylor Greene wants the US to invade Mexico

But Marj - if you invade and move the border south you make all those Mexicans into Americans. How will the magats like that?

13 Likes

As bad as the cartels are, you can’t just send in a foreign military after them. What is this, the early 20th century?

4 Likes

And of course, it goes without saying never to go against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

6 Likes

She wants them to continue to be an exploitable economic underclass…

7 Likes

5 Likes

Now I feel weird, because I have been thinking along similar lines for a while now, though I never figured we should have an invasion. More along the lines of the US military giving a helping hand to the Mexican military.
I mean, I live down here close to the border and I’ve seen some shit.

Am I the baddie?

11 Likes

No, because of course, that’s not what she’s talking about… She’s just after more exploited labor, and you can get that with a violent, racist occupation… I know you’re interested in bringing a measure of stability to you and your neighbors, so they can prosper and thrive. She believes your neighbors should be an exploitable labor source…

12 Likes

I suspect you would never advocate for our military to give that helping hand without an invitation, which is what MTG wants. That, by the way, would be a pretty blatant and gross violation of international laws concerning sovereignty and warfare, and would absolutely make us the baddies.

9 Likes

Sounds Good Ted Cruz GIF by Saturday Night Live

Also true. I suspect the military would invite our military to help out, but they keep getting these dingbat presidents who are too prideful.

7 Likes

Of course she doesn’t at all - nor would she even admit that there would be any. But she’s pretending it’s possible to wage a war against a civilian faction… without involving civilians (that everyone else would care about), because that stops it from being anything like a “surgical strike.”

2 Likes

There are a lot of people self medicating because healthcare in the US is expensive and fucked. Universal healthcare could limit the illegal drug market.

4 Likes

My brain read that as “Trump repeatedly asked about sending troops into Mexico to hunt down the camels”
Knowing the problems feral camels cause, I was down with that.

3 Likes

Empirically, that assertion is now in some doubt.

The Princess Bride Laughing GIF by filmeditor

8 Likes

Or, they’ve studied history and they know that “inviting the military of a larger neighbor into your country to ‘help’” rarely turns out well.

13 Likes

In May 1169, Anglo-Norman mercenaries landed in Ireland at the request of Diarmait mac Murchada (Dermot MacMurragh), the deposed King of Leinster, who sought their help in regaining his kingship. They achieved this within weeks and raided neighbouring kingdoms. This military intervention was sanctioned by King Henry II of England. In return, Diarmait had sworn loyalty to Henry and promised land to the Normans.

9 Likes

Given the military competency of the GQP, it absolutely would be a surgical strike.

5 Likes

Does she think about the things she says? She’d first have to have the capacity for rational thought. Going by every other word she has babbled in the last couple of years, that’d be a “No.”

We had one whole day without her saying anything stupid. I miss Monday. March 6 2023. That was the good old day.

5 Likes

All imperialist invasions feature a local faction that “invited” the “help” of the imperialists. Just as they all have a winning in group among the local population who enthusiastically assist in the oppression of the out group.

4 Likes

In the “Fall of Civilizations” podcast there is a lengthy episode about the fall of the Aztecs and the conquest of Mexico by Hernán Cortés. He was able to play off existing rivalries to gain allies to overthrow the Aztecs, before of course turning on those allies. Of course history remembers that Cortés overthrew the Aztecs with just 500 spanish soldiers and a beard.

9 Likes