Marriott removing desks from its hotel rooms "because Millennials"

Do you know what else millennials like? Free Wifi.

Also, a wood fired pizza oven in each room would be nice.

15 Likes

15 Likes

On the nightstand.

3 Likes

ā€œCall some place paradise, kiss it goodbyeā€.

Because your unmonetized pleasure is someone elseā€™s unrealized revenue opportunity.

3 Likes

My phone, ereader, laptop and digital camera are all not going to fit thereā€¦ not along with my dinner plates and glasses of water! Donā€™t be an anti-desk-ite!

2 Likes

Yes, until those same consultants say, ā€œHey, you know what post-millenials donā€™t need? Nightstands. Those dark wacky kids. Their beds are their nightstands.ā€

4 Likes

Shit, what millenials really donā€™t need is those pesky beds! Sooo old fashioned. Replace those with a spot in the corner to set up a sleeping bag or pile of pillows, and weā€™ll really be speaking to the hip young demo.

4 Likes

If hotels would replace that useless chest of drawers that frequently only is a place to deposit a clutter of hotel literature with a desk, Iā€™d be happier. Who uses the drawers if theyā€™re only going to be there for a couple of days? If the hotels really want to cheap out, a simple table and chair would be just as good. Travelers still want somewhere to put their suitcases, souvenirs, a fifth of booze and a couple of glasses.

4 Likes

Consultants doing what consultants like this have always done, make shit up to seem important and pretend like they know what they are doing, all justified with a made up reason.

yep. :+1:

Keep the desk, add a 12 port high amp usb charger to it.

I like the extra pillows, makes watching tv/movies in the bed feasable, and that is typically the only location with a view of the TV, the couch and desk/chairs are all crammed down on one end of the narrow room and I get neck strain watching from those. Usually iā€™m on the couch watching on the tablet anyway thoughā€¦

3 Likes

Actually what Iā€™d like is a fucking light in the goddamn ceiling.

(yeah, I know why they donā€™t but I donā€™t care).

5 Likes

If they got rid of everything except a good lamp, a few wall outlets and a mattress on the floor, Iā€™d be happy. The rates would have to be lower, but if I know the place is clean, I would totally stay there.

Iā€™m more afraid of those concrete buildings pancaking me in my sleep if thereā€™s an earthquake.

3 Likes

they manage to put them in the bathroom ceilings, hooked to those ridiculous timer knobs!

1 Like

Hey, itā€™s bad enough that the are people fucking in the rooms on either side of me and usually above me as well. I donā€™t want the lights fucking too.

5 Likes

Obviously, youā€™ve never stayed at an Ace Hotel.

8 Likes

at least they put the ceiling light in the room i do most of my reading in! reading in bed is for amateurs, real travelers multi-task, especially if they are eating at those god awful hotel restaurants or worse airports! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Looks great. I personally like The Jupiter.

But mostly because the attached bar, the Doug Fir, is fantastic.

4 Likes

Bah, The Madonna Inn is the bestestā€¦

7 Likes

Yeah, but I donā€™t want a room thatā€™s been Pooked before me.

2 Likes

Marriott is the same place that ushered my generation out of Courtyard Hotels by replacing the buffet breakfast (albeit non-free) with Starbucks-ian coffee bars and minimal seating.

I still miss whiling away those breakfast minutes listening to the hostess following people holding trays of food and attempting to explain that the breakfast was not for freeā€¦

5 Likes

ā€˜In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.ā€™

1 Like