Massive security flaw in GNU/Linux crypto code

I tried Xfce when 11.10 came out. I had the installer crash. I couldn’t get my accessibility features, or the clock, to work, and managed to break a few things trying to get them to work. Everyone recommended either Xfce or Kde, but neither one has been compatible with my accessibility needs.

So for those of us without working update software, and without working ‘software centers’/other gui installation tools, is there any way to install the patch?

Worst case you can download the source and compile it by hand with the patch, then just copy it over top of the broken library in your system folder. That’s a messy solution though, especially if you don’t have a dev environment installed (and good luck getting one installed with apt broken).

An easier solution might be to find the updated .deb package for your version, and install it with dpkg.

1 Like

I had to install it with synaptics, which I had to install by hand on the commandline because Unity sucks. I don’t use the accessibility features so I can’t say anything about them however.

Okay, I’ve read two of these articles, and still can’t see where to find the patch and which version is the patch.

http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-2127-1/

This should get you to a link where you can download the patch for your version. I don’t know exactly what version you’re running, so I can’t provide a more direct link.

Uh, no, it doesn’t. I can’t figure out which version of gnutils my version of ubuntu would use, and whether a patch is available for that version, and whether it’d be better to go to an earlier or later one if no patch is available. @#$% hate ubuntu, trying to push unity on us, trying to break every accessibility fix, certifying hardware that is incompatible with the software and requires special patches to use…

try:

apt-cache -f --installed showpkg gnutls

or maybe:

apt-cache -f --installed showpkg gnutls-dev

Assuming your apt isn’t completely and utterly wanged of course.

You should be able to follow the link at the bottom of that advisory for whichever version of Ubuntu you are running however.

Okay, thanks. However it’s not working; I guess canonical decided to really break things to try to get us to switch to Clusterfuck.

showpkg doesn’t list the version:

Package: gnutls-dev
Versions:

Reverse Depends:

And the link at the bottom of the advisory just says to use the update manager, which doesn’t work, or sudo apt-get update.

sudo apt-get update yields a number of 404 errors.

Are you sure you actually have it installed?

ls -l /usr/lib/libgnutls*

Beyond this, I have to suggest you just hit up Google. This tech support has already gone on way too long for a BB messageboard. I really thought it would be easier for you.

OpenSSL seems to be the most solid. Red Hat recompiles upstreams that want OpenSSL with NSS, and patch to suit, but then when problems happen the upstream devs get annoyed because they built for OpenSSL and never had any intention of supporting NSS.

No such file or directory. I guess I was worried for the wrong reasons. I have been trying forever to find a better computer and better linux to go with it, but not sure where to go to address my accessibility needs.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.