Mathematician Edward Frenkel on whether the universe is a simulation

/thread

3 Likes

This all reminds me of the story by David Gerrold (of Star Trek TOS The Trouble with Tribbles fame). H.A.R.L.I.E., a sentient computer, wants to know if he has a soul, so he devises a plan to model the universe, determine if it requires the inclusion of a deity, and if so, he can ask it
 A fun, light read.

1 Like

Actually, I suspect it’s impossible, and I didn’t construct the proof, although I’m damned if I can remember who did. It goes like this: any reasonably faithful simulation of the universe would have to simulate all the states of every particle - position, mass, velocity, spin, etc. But there is no way to simulate that many bits in a smaller number of particles than the universe itself. Therefore, the real world is the only possible simulation of the real world. QED.

I believe I have been nerd sniped.

1 Like

Nah, the simulation doesn’t have to run in an exterior universe with any semblance of relation to our own. It could be a universe of thousands of macroscopic dimensions, or it could be composed of infinite monads or it could have vastly more structured complexity at some micro-level suitable for computation. Indeed, it could be an existence that is literally inconceivable to us but that nevertheless makes it easy to compose such grotesquely large computational systems as would be required to implement our own universe.

Indeed, from one point of view, the universe is nothing more than data and computation, so it has to at least be a formal system, if not an actual simulation.

Anyhow the whole idea of limiting the possible qualities and laws of a universe exterior to our supposed simulation is so wild that there’s clearly no way of applying words like “likely” or “probably” to these speculations, which is what some of these philosophers are trying to do at present.

3 Likes

Is the Universe a Simulation?

Does Betteridge’s Law apply here?

4 Likes

I have often proposed the following facetious, irreverent, and pseudo-religious argument for the proliferation of quantum particles:

I propose, based on the spurious logic of the above, that our inability to make sense of the universe at the smallest scale is evidence that it IS only a simulation, and that the level of resolution of the simulation is revealed by the uncertainty at quantum magnitudes.

1 Like

The idea that you can test if your universe is a simulation is ridiculous.
The first question to ask should be:

Is my mind a simulation?

Worry about the ‘universe’ later.

3 Likes

Even if you think we should worship you, if you are experimenting with plagues on us, why should we worship you?

I don’t think he’s asking for worship. I think he’s simply informing us of the facts, possibly because it will make the simulation slightly more interesting in ways that we could not possibly fathom.

Think of yourself as Manfred Macx, trying desperately to outsmart Aineko.

Nut-uh! Then all the knots would come untied, and your insides would be outside. But I continue to believe the only adequate simulation of the universe is the universe itself, and therefore tautology.

Such a being may well be a god, but not “God” in the Judeo-Christian sense.

When It is said that the universe is a simulation I always want to say, “A simulation of what?”

1 Like

I suspect that the simulation is designed to test the suitability of galactic black holes for long term data storage, or something else on an equally large scale. It is an interesting ethical puzzle to consider the side effect of having a highly detailed system creating the occasional simulacrum of ‘intelligent life’, but, regardless of the initial parameters, the simulation will come to an end, long after its universe can support anything like ‘life’. Zero beings to start, zero at end, so no special permissions needed to run it. And, hey, if something arises that can survive the heat death or the big crunch, there’s funding and serendipity awards a plenty.

The idea that those side effects might think they are the subject of the study is really kind of sad. Time for a beer and a comedy.

2 Likes

Advancing up the Kardashev Scale?

1 Like

I think one of the interesting things that we’ll find out (when our Simulating Overlords are shown to exist and open a dialogue) is that they had absolutely to do with, nor in any way resemble, the god(s) we ourselves apparently created. “Huh? Nope, that wasn’t us.”

well, there is not just the judeo-christian god to choose from, though I am not sure why would you exclude that one.

How would a Simulator change mathematical reality? Physical reality, sure, the Simulator can move/create any atom anywhere he wants. He can stop time. And many other “miraculous” things. But he can’t make 2+2=5. He can’t redefine pi. Can he?

1 Like

The “are we in a simulation” question always ignores two important and erroneous assumptions, those being that 1) that these take place in “our” future (whatever that means, because everything we know is probably simulated right?), and 2) that those doing the simulating are like us and use equipment we would recognise as a computer. It’s far more likely that any such beings would exist in a way that’s far beyond our understanding. In essence, “are we living in a simulation” is the exact same question as “is there an omnipotent god”. And from a scientific viewpoint, the answer is the same: “don’t mean shīt eitherhow.”

From a wikipedia article on Greg Bear’s Eon Trilogy

The opening of gates and use of field technology permitted the Geshels to cover the Way with soil and living plants, as well as fill it with air, for nearly a lightyear down from the Thistledown. This magnificent area remained as wilderness for much of the life of the Way. Soil, air and water were brought from worlds accessed from within the Way. Quickly, the gate openers discovered that the epoch and origin of the Thistledown within Earth’s solar system defined where the gates opened to - almost without exception (and these exceptions included as a consequence of the infinities addressed through superspace geometries as defined by Patricia Vasquez) were alternative versions of Earth within other Universes. Thus commerce was possible with these universes. Covering the surface of the way and filling the way with air was rendered simply by opening gated in proximity to a planet not occupied by intelligence or excessive quantities of animals, and then sucking the air and soil from these worlds to cover the Way’s bare surface.
Gates are capped with cupolas formed from Space-time itself. As distortions in space-time geometry, their nature can be calculated by 21st century instruments laid on their ‘surfaces’. The constant Pi, in particular, is most strongly affected.

1 Like

You’re confusing me with one of the SimDeities in your simulation, whose powers are indeed constrained by the laws of mathematics and logic. E.g., He cannot make a rock so heavy that He cannot lift it. (Well, in Safe Mode, anyway. It’s considered lazy programming to write gods that are intrinsically capable of doing impossible things–sort of like using GOTO–but there are all kinds of open-source omnipotence libraries if you want to jailbreak your SimDeities.)

By way of demonstration, I just changed π so that, starting at the 2⁶⁔⁔³⁶th decimal place in base-16, it reads: 424553555245544f4452494e4b594f55524f56414c54494e45.

1 Like