Mathematicians: refuse to work for the NSA!

Yeah. If all the principled, moral mathematicians refuse to work for the NSA, that leaves only the unprincipled, evil mathematicians in the NSA labor pool.

That might not work out too well either.

1. US had more than enough nuclear weapons to destroy the world. Necessary?
  2. Stop thinking in terms of one human lifetime. If the US is nuked and retaliates there is no human life left on earth. If the US is nuked and can’t retaliate that sucks for the US but human life continues on earth. One of these is, to me, clearly a better outcome (despite living in the US). And if a world without humans is more desirable to you than a world without the US then I have to question your priorities a little.
3 Likes

“Attacking a minority opinion” – you mean the minority opinion that it’s OK to work for the NSA without any repercussions from professional groups? If that’s the case, I’m pretty sure you mean “majority opinion.” We’re talking about the article cited in the OP because it’s a minority opinion.

NaN

3 Likes

Actually, given the possibility of global nuclear winter, even a one-sided nuclear exchange may have ended humanity. So in that case, mutually assured destruction during the Cold War may actually have saved humanity even if one side got in a successful first strike and wasn’t hit itself. But that’s obviously not the point. What I’m objecting to is the fuzzy idealism that says in a multi-sided situation that one side should give up its tools (weapons or intelligence) unilaterally, trusting other sides not to take advantage of the situation.

But why would it? Who would make a unilateral strike that destroys the world?

I have trouble ascribing the role of “steely-eyed realist” to folks whose assumptions include mustache-twirling villains planning nuclear strikes.

I don’t think anyone said the other side wouldn’t take advantage of the situation. The question is whether that risk is worse than the risk posed by one’s own intelligence apparatus.

1 Like

Actually, given the possibility of global nuclear winter, even a one-sided nuclear exchange may have ended humanity.

Well, if the Assured Destruction of causing a humanity-ending nuclear winter with a one-sided strike doesn’t stop a madman from pushing the button, neither will Mutually Assured Destruction.

MAD might have prevented another Hiroshima or Nagasaki. It might have prevented direct conventional warfare between the superpowers, while prolonging the many proxy wars around the globe.

It’s not fuzzy idealism to say that someone has to take the first step rather than further fuel an escalating conflict. That first step doesn’t even need to leave you really vulnerable, it would be enough if it pointed in the right direction.

2 Likes

But why would it? Who would make a unilateral strike that destroys the world?

For starters, although people were familiar with the eruption of Krakatoa in the 19th century and its effects (analogous to a big explosion) on weather even in Europe thousands of miles away, until very near the end of the Cold War in the 1980s nuclear winter wasn’t a commonly accepted idea. During most of the Cold War the idea of nuclear winter wasn’t considered (although obviously if the theory is right it would have happened if a nuclear strike occurred whether or not they were expecting it as a result).

I don’t think anyone said the other side wouldn’t take advantage of the situation. The question is whether that risk is worse than the risk posed by one’s own intelligence apparatus.

Fair enough. If that tradeoff is really considered.

Regardless of whether it was an accepted idea, a great many nuclear devices have been tested without causing nuclear winter. Presumably you’d need a nuclear event even more energetic than Krakatoa (and probably much more energetic because Krakatoa provided its own dust) to get equivalent effects. Krakatoa didn’t exactly wipe out the human race.

We could argue all day about how plausible or implausible a large-scale nuclear strike (as opposed to smaller tactical strikes) would be in the absence of a MAD policy and not get anywhere.

1 Like

I’m the author of the article. Sorry not to have engaged sooner; unrelated events made it impossible.

My article is actually very cautious and conservative. I don’t say that mathematicians should refuse to work for the NSA, or that learned societies should expel members who work for them. I merely point out that they could.

Mathematicians who cooperate with the secret services (e.g. department chairs who give their staff leave to work for them) may not even realize that they’re making a choice, because a culture has grown up where it’s unexceptional. I wanted to point out that it is a choice, that we’re not obliged to cooperate with the NSA/GCHQ unquestioningly.

1 Like

I wasn’t trolling; I meant exactly what I said.

First, as I pointed out just now, I didn’t say that national mathematical societies should expel anyone, or that department chairs should refuse leave to staff who want to work for the scret services. I merely said they could. The academic mathematical community has been cooperating with the secret services for so long that we’re at risk of forgetting that we get to choose.

Second, I didn’t mention refusing faculty permission to accept grants.

Third, the nearest I came to that was saying that department chairs could refuse faculty permission leave to work for the intelligence agencies. Academics request leave for all sorts of reasons, and whether it’s granted is at the discretion of the department chair. (This is the case in the UK, at least, and I suspect many other countries.) There are all sorts of reasons why the chair might refuse.

In the case at hand, perhaps the university has an ethical policy that’s contravened by some of the NSA/GCHQ’s actions. My own university, Edinburgh, does have an ethical policy, which led to it disinvesting in a company that made parts for drones. I haven’t read the policy, but it’s not beyond the bounds of plausibility that GCHQ falls foul of it.

Finally, this has nothing to do with academic freedom. No one is stopping anyone from doing whatever mathematics they want to do.

1 Like

I didn’t mean to invoke the cliché of the otherwordly mathematician. Although I think it contains a small amount of truth, it’s also pretty irritating, and I’m sorry if you felt patronized.

But there’s strong evidence that the academic mathematical community is ignoring the NSA/GCHQ scandal.

For example: during the nine months after the scandal first broke, the London Mathematical Society (the UK’s national society for mathematicians) published nothing about it. Nothing, nada. No press releases, no official statements, nothing in the monthly newsletter.

Imagine if there was a major international scandal involving the largest publishing houses in the world. Wouldn’t you expect it to feature on the front page of every issue of the Society of Publishers’ Newsletter? Wouldn’t you think it was extremely odd if, month after month, it was never once mentioned?

I don’t mean to be too critical of the leaders of the London Mathematical Society, or their counterparts around the world. They’re busy academics giving selflessly of their time, and in the end they did invite me to write an opinion piece for the newsletter. But the fact that it took so long and so much pushing suggests that we, as a community, are not very engaged with this aspect of the real world.

1 Like

Seriously? This isn’t a shoop?

I’d like to see a like to see where the f*ck they said this with a straight face…

1 Like

No shoop. Just good ol’ American Ingenuity™

Edit: Fox News was inspired…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.