Matt Ruff's "Lovecraft Country," where the horror is racism (not racist)

Macho drunkard, killer of unarmed animals, and bullfighting afficianado Ernest Hemingway:

5 Likes

Hereā€™s baby Lenin.

3 Likes

Yes, yes, yes!

Itā€™s why the number one way to convert someone from their -ism is for them to get to know a black person, or a Muslim, or someone on the QUILTBAG spectrum on a personal level in real life.

3 Likes

Increasingly Iā€™ve grown thankful for the review THREADS because many posters weigh in to give their own reviews, and after reading the entire thread I feel Iā€™ve got a much better sense of whether or not I would want the product.

Over the years, I have bought a number of things because I saw them recommended here, but only after hearing from everyone, not just someone on the masthead.

4 Likes

Matt Ruff is one of the best fiction authors out there. Donā€™t forget Sewer, Gas and Electric.

5 Likes

Yes, I do like it when it appears to be ā€˜of the timeā€™ rather than the Tuskegee Experiment of the week (which is fine sunshine if the water filtering comes proper (also 30 or so other things.)) I also had the distinct impression he lived 1890-1937 and that the occasional protagonist who -needed- his or her mind blown (and other things that donā€™t immediately come off as prevailing) was grist to the mill. So Iā€™m at the point reading the review where ā€˜racing to the graveā€™ [c.f. comments] and ā€˜debate underway todayā€™ are a bit close. Do the protagonists get to enjoy shining, I hope? I want to know Iā€™ll enjoy this more than turning mismatched USB cables into dreadlocks (lionizing the power structure thereā€¦as opposed to tapping warm running nonsense.)

Thatā€™s a strawman argument.

2 Likes

Yeah, I need to burn my Wishlist on Amazon. Burn it to the ground. Nothing worse than impulse wishlisting.

1 Like

Personally, I think taking a complex human being who suffered through hardships I wouldnā€™t wish on my worst and boiling him down to a ā€œscumbag racist pig,ā€ is a pretty scummy thing to do.

2 Likes

And who exactly is doing that? Pointing out that Lovecraft had racist elements in his work is not exactly calling him a ā€œscumbag racist pigā€ā€¦ itā€™s pointing out a reality of early 20th century America, which was, indeed an incredibly racist place. That is not exactly an opinion, thatā€™s pretty well established historical fact. I still enjoy his work, but that doesnā€™t mean we canā€™t talk about the work and what itā€™s saying about the life and times of the man.

7 Likes

Cory did, in the article (personally, I think itā€™s fair enough).

3 Likes

Fair enough.

3 Likes

Would ā€˜long-suffering scumbag racist pigā€™ be more appropriate?

1 Like

Or we could just accept the fact that Lovecraft was racist, as much or more so than others during a very racist time, without also declaring that that makes him a scumbag and a pig.

2 Likes

I think we can also accept that people are complicated. I think we can acknowledge things like racism, which as @nungesser correctly points out was pervasive (this was the era of the KKK being a major force in US politics, the height of Eugenics, the nadir of race relations, the era of the Great Migration, the era of fascism, etc) and still like Lovecraft.

But, @nungesser, Iā€™ll also point out that while racism was rampant, that doesnā€™t mean there werenā€™t other voices. This period saw a strong wave of anti-racism and anti-colonial movements, not just here, but around the world. This was the era when the NAACP was getting itā€™s feet under them, when WEB DuBois was writing his master works, when African Americans were traveling to the Soviet Union, when Japan was becoming a global, colonial power, despite not being a ā€œwhite manā€™s countryā€, when there were numerous anti-racist conferences happening. So, the era was not without dissenting voices on the issue of race.

8 Likes

Itself a result of fear.

ā€œWe are afraid of truth, afraid of fortune, afraid of death, and afraid of each other.ā€
ā€“ Ralph Waldo Emerson

ā€œLovecraft Country,ā€ by the way, is excellent.

If we accept that he was racist, the rest follows - irrespective of any positive qualities or mitigating circumstances. Funny how that kind of leniency is expected in the case of people who suppress minorities or women, but somehow isnā€™t regularly extended for people who try to work in favour of the exploited. Can we not accept that Stalin was a product of the social circumstances of the time?

ā€œIrrespectiveā€ and ā€œmitigatingā€ are words at odds.

That may well be, but ā€œirrespective of any circumstances that would-be defenders of racism might present as mitigationā€ is exactly the kind of unwieldy pedantry that loses hearts and minds, whether or not the underlying argument is sound.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.