McDonald's Hot Coffee lawsuit: deliberate, corporatist urban legend

I am still against punitive damages as a matter of principle

Why do you hate grandmas who had their genitals scalded shut, you monster? /s

1 Like

Well, one can get a clue by the link Cory helpfully embedded into his entire “it never happened” text or by continuing to read beyond his next sentence that begins with, "What actually happened … "

When I read Cory’s posts, I put them in context of his past posts, usage of figure of speech, his conversational writing style, the links within his posts, the scope and context of his current post, the posts of his compatriots, his past actions and evolving situations that surround all of it. It’s an exercise in critical thinking, not an exercise in spoon-feeding.

If you get frustrated because Cory doesn’t explain in detail what you can find out for yourselves, then I’m not sure this place is the right fit. Unless you enjoy your own confused, pedantic fits, that is.

Speak for yourself, please.

That’s BS. You aren’t the arbiter of what’s “wrong” or not. I’ve seen you in other threads repeatedly accusing Cory of being wrong on things that are matters of opinion. You disagree with his opinion or style of writing and therefore he is “wrong”. One things is for sure, you love to hear yourself complain about Cory repeatedly.

They aren’t even really headlines. They are post titles. People keep screeching about terrible, misleading “headlines” as if Cory is posting a dry headline for a corporatist news organization reporting on an airline disaster. They are post titles for opinion pieces on his fucking blog. I will use the term “headline” because it’s shorter than calling them post titles, but I’m not going to confuse a Boing Boing headline with a Wall Street Journal news piece headline in the process.

Maybe it’s time for you move on? I don’t know. If his challenging style of posting makes you unhappy and you think it’s worthless clickbait, maybe it’s time for you to stop taking what you perceive as bait?

If you or anyone else wants to start an “I hate the style of Cory’s posts” thread instead of addressing the issues he brings up, then open up a new BBS thread and enjoy your spirited whine-fest there. I don’t understand the purpose of derailing the threads here for that kind of esoteric drivel.

It’s one thing to say you disagree with Cory on issues… it’s quite another thing to repeatedly derail and descend the conversation into how Cory is some kind of disingenuous “clickbait” artist, etc.

That doesn’t mean, nor infer that I think any and all criticism towards Cory is unwarranted. But, if someone’s sole purpose is to piss and moan in such a trite manner in these threads, then it’s probably time to focus on writers you enjoy instead of repeatedly whining like infants in many of Cory’s threads.

What you don’t seem to notice is all the many more posts in these threads that focus on the issues he brings up instead of attacking his style of posting.

We get it, you don’t like Cory’s posts. Start a BBS thread on it and complain there to high heaven. This is a thread on corporatist tactics involving a woman, hot coffee and McDonald’s.

3 Likes

Yeah… That’s funny, because it’s true. The only difference is people are vastly more pedantic nowadays so the debate is far more trite and derailed.

Actually, no, it depends on what temperature the company KEEPS the coffee at post-brewing. McDonalds is infamous for KEEPING their coffee at 170-200 degrees. The fact that this was an industry standard was part of the problem that needed to be addressed - is it responsible to pass such (heightened) risks onto the customer for the sake of an arbitrary standard? But no one was interested in addressing this until, you guessed it, they had to pay.

Depends how bad the burn is. If it’s significant, as is the case here, that should be re-considered. Also, you’re basing how “rare” getting burned is based on court cases. I think we can all agree that there have likely been a lot more burns, even significant ones, than have been taken to court. Like, a LOT. That’s like arguing that hammers rarely hurt people based on how many people took the hammer company to court. Come on, now.

Not really. I own a coffee maker that brews at the supposed “perfect temp” (195 degrees in this case). But even if I finish the brew, pour into a mug, and try to sip right away, it’s never as literally blistering as retail coffee often is, especially McD’s. That’s personal experience talking, it’s anecdotal, but so is arguing that retail coffee is no different without doing an actual study on the issue. So for now, we all have to go with our own experiences. And mine (and obviously some others’) says that home brewed coffee doesn’t even come close.

See, now here we go, HERE you use statistics that have nothing to do with court cases. Yet you’re comparing it to how many court cases have been collated. Not remotely balanced, son. Try again.

Now on THIS, we agree wholeheartedly :smile:

3 Likes

Thank you for your posts.

It was interesting to me after Jbforum disingenuously distorted your post and resorted to scare tactics, etc. he also threw in malpractice as something that bankrupts hospitals and raises the cost of health care.

First of all, malpractice lawsuits don’t bankrupt hospitals. That’s just corporatist FUD. It’s easy to find out why hospitals really file for bankruptcy as it’s publicly documented.

Most hospitals go bankrupt from their own poor financial management, changes in payer mix, reimbursement reductions, overzealous construction and purchasing of physician practices, decrease in volume and demographic shifts. Not malpractice lawsuits. So that’s a crock.

Secondly, for Jbforum to point towards malpractice as raising the cost of health care without mentioning the elephant in the room which is the ridiculous administrative costs associated with our draconian, privatized insurance system is pretty disingenuous as well. If anyone is really concerned about health care costs, they should be focusing on the USA finally getting a true single payer system for health care in the first place.

Anyway, thanks again for your personal story and I wish you and your father well.

3 Likes

Which is why even though I support a single payer system, I try to warn people that they should understand that there will be changes they might not like. The cost-benefit analysis will change and so will treatment paths.

I’m not sure it has to be that way. The smartest people I see advocating for single payer in the US suggest we should copy the good parts of single payer systems from other countries and jettison the bad parts. The United States should innovate and make its own best single payer system. We’ll be terribly late to the table, but at least we’ll be playing the best cards.

Remember the old lady who sued McDonald’s for millions because she burned herself by spilling hot coffee in her lap?

As far as I can establish from the article, she asked for money to cover her medical costs (~$10,000, or ~$20,000 via Wikipedia). Mcdonalds offered $800. She then retained a lawyer. At trial she was awarded $200,000 which was reduced to $160,000 in compensatory damages. In addition she was awarded $2.7m in punitive damages which was reduced to $480,000.

So I’m still unclear about what Cory means.

So I’m still unclear about what Cory means.

In my opinion, you may have issues with nuance in language, figure of speech, etc. – Cory used a nuanced figure of speech. Like usual, he’s using a conversational style of speech. He wasn’t literally saying that none of it ever happened.

In my opinion, the best I can do for you is teach you how to fish:

I admit I’m sometimes slow to pick up on it when people do it verbally, but I guess I’m quicker with it when it’s in written form for whatever reason. Probably just the way my brain is wired or whatever or I’m just used to Cory’s style of posts over the years… who knows?

Since I’ve exhausted my three replies allowed to “newbies” (although I’ve been reading BB for years and used to have an account,) I’m replying to the thread at large.

“Thank you for the links, but I’m not sure I follow how that shows that Liebeck was using propaganda.”

I said this was “the other side’s” propaganda, not Liebeck. So many links (and yes, I do have them, but don’t have time to post before work) talk about how McDonalds’ coffee was so much hotter than the rest. No, that’s propaganda. McDonalds’ coffee was intended to be within industry standards (185 degree,) but the +/- 5 degrees their practices allowed would have made it 5 degrees above standards.

“The other side” presents the 700 reported cases as proof McDonalds was negligent, but when you consider the volume of coffee severed over the all their restaurants over a decade, 700 - approximately 1 on 24 million served - is actually a pretty insignificant number of cases, especially given that most were no where as severe as Liebeck’s injuries.

“The other side” points to her injuries and that she won as proof the lawsuit was legitimate, but injuries don’t indicate liability. I can accidentally cut off my hand with a sharp knife, but that doesn’t make it the knife makers fault. And other “Hot Coffee” lawsuits routinely fails, which indicates that this was instead a case of a lawsuit being wrongly decided, not vindication of this type of tort. Additionally, that the industry standards were not changed as a result of this suit indicates that the coffee industry (and coffee consumers whose preferences those standards are geared to) saw that the Liebeck decision was an anomaly.

As a final point, Susan Saladoff is a former trial lawyer - imagine if someone tried to present a documentary of the GWB presidency as though it wasn’t propagandized if it were made by someone in that administration. I’m saying to dismiss her work entirely, but you do need to consider the source, whether it supports your position or not.

1 Like

So many links (and yes, I do have them, but don’t have time to post before work) talk about how McDonalds’ coffee was so much hotter than the rest. No, that’s propaganda.

All of your points have been addressed multiple times throughout this thread by others, so I’m not going to rehash them here. In my opinion, you’re bringing nothing new of true importance to the table.

Meanwhile, you didn’t properly address the real propaganda problem that @L_Mariachi mentioned in a reply to your previous post that also happens to align with the topic of this thread. Once again, the media didn’t simply sensationalize the story as you said, the mass media very much colluded with the corporatist framing of the story. There’s a big difference there you haven’t acknowledged and you instead continue to focus on flogging a head horse.

Once again, the truth of the matter you seem to be avoiding is corporations are vastly more litigious than anyone else. And, how the media keeps trying to frame a false narrative that the public is the problem, not their owners. No amount of deflection by railing against an amorphous “other side” takes away from these important facts and the point of this thread.

2 Likes

“You’re not big with the nuance and subtlety, are ya?”

Hahaha, well, you DID say you couldn’t see what change this was supposed to generate. Thought I’d put it in big letters so it’s hard to miss!

"A business that sells coffee has to put the mean temperature somewhere. If it’s too cold, most customers will go somewhere else. Too high, and there will be a lot of customers burning themselves. "

The jury’s position in this instance was that keeping coffee at a temperature that would burn someone THAT severely was “too hot.” I have no reason to dispute this finding, not being a coffeeologist or a McD’s customer satisfaction thingy. I’m not persuaded that you have any more reason to dispute this finding than I do. I presume that, as is the case in most trials, both sides had a chance to persuade the jury, and the punitive damages reflect the jury’s belief that McD’s was unlikely to change their behavior unless incentivized to do so by the possibility of expensive lawsuits.

tonyblaha:

According to the national weather service, your chances of being struck by lightning in a given year are about 1 in a million (http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/lightning/lightning_faq.htm). That’s right, you are 24 times more likely to be struck by lightning then to be injured by McDonald’s coffee.
Obviously Doctorow’s linkbait article is correct in pointing out how evil and dastardly McDonald’s is. Now we just need to ban weather.

I think we’d be fine if we just banned misleading analogies, but lets pretend you’re being legit because it’s more fun that way and talk abut the core of your logic here.

It’s more dangerous to be in a thunderstorm than drink McD’s coffee, so if we’re going to get the law involved with one, why not the other?

Because the law can do something in the case of McD’s coffee, but it can’t do anything in the case of weather.

2 Likes

I agree. Taiwan is a good starting model. But there will be changes. Americans insist on gold standard care and extreme end of life measures. That, and many other practices, mean high costs. Only a fraction of the improvement can come from how care is delivered. Another small fraction from drugs. The majority will come from what care is delivered.

There are ways to preserve the extreme end, but would likely mean a two tier system. Most health care can be delivered at a modest cost with great benefit. Putting grandma in the ICU for the last two weeks of life isn’t one of them. You want slid base healthcare, we can do it cheap and effective. You want $100,000/mo blood products, that might have to be private insurance.

Only a fraction of the improvement can come from how care is delivered. … Putting grandma in the ICU for the last two weeks of life isn’t one of them.

Much larger than “a fraction”, and you’re heading into rationing and “death panel” territory a little bit (unless I’m misunderstanding you). I think the PNHP addresses that here:

In U.S. health care, no one is ultimately accountable for how the system works. No one takes full responsibility. Rationing in our system is carried out covertly through financial pressure, forcing millions of individuals to forgo care or to be shunted away by caregivers from services they can’t pay for.

The rationing that takes place in U.S. health care is unnecessary. A number of studies (notably a General Accounting Office report in 1991 and a Congressional Budget Office report in 1993) show that there is more than enough money in our health care system to serve everyone if it were spent wisely.

Administrative costs are at 31% of U.S. health spending, far higher than in other countries’ systems. These inflated costs are due to our failure to have a publicly financed, universal health care system. We spend about twice as much per person as Canada or most European nations, and still deny health care to many in need. A national health program could save enough on administration to assure access to care for all Americans, without rationing.

And a little more here:

2 Likes

Mod note: No personal attacks and stay on topic.

3 Likes

I’ve seen similar asserted quite often, but no links to any sort of smoking gun. The bulk of the evidence would seem to be on the side of the opposite contention, that the media have colluded with the organized “plaintiffs bar” framing.

For example I’ve never seen any report or documentary where McDonalds has cooperated to push their side of the story – even to rebut the easily-checked “fact” that “McDonalds only offered $800” (from what I’ve seen, that was “P.T.S. Inc”, AKA the franchisee guy). I’ve read several books that complain of corporations using the case to promote “tort-reform”, but all of the examples are bought ads, rather than news articles – whereas one press conference by Public Citizen in 1995 netted many high-profile articles churnalizing their talking points, such as in Newsweek and the Wall Street Journal.

I suggest you start here:

Then watch this film:

The film has actual news clips, etc. – Hence, the smoking gun you desire.

On Google Play

On iTunes

On Amazon

More options: Scarab Media Offline

The smoking gun is there within the Hot Coffee film if you’re willing to look. You are, aren’t you?

More:

2 Likes

NYT did a nice update.

Also, Refusing brown M&M’s is a smart request.

copy the good parts of single payer systems from other countries and jettison the bad parts

Most Americans seem to think that the good parts are:

(1) having the most state-of-the-art technologies and medications universally available.
(2) immediate access to all of the above, no waiting.
(3) as much office time as they want with the best doctors, no gatekeepers to limit physician access.
(4) freedom to sue without limit any time something goes wrong.

Most Americans seem to think that the bad part is:

(5) having to pay for any of the above.

Let me know when you get that plan worked out, OK??

I am not sure cowicide was suggesting it was going to be an easy negotiation to get the American people to sign on to a good idea.

1 Like

Absolutely correct. They had been sued for the same thing many times before. Finally they burned “granny” and got what was coming to them.
The lady did not get millions. All she gets is to be “made whole” she doesn’t get to profit wildly.
The confusion over this case is caused by an inept media and corporate American wanting to appear as a victim.

I repeat, Grandma did not get rich off of this suit.