Men and women see the night differently, study finds (photos)

Why not both? Both flow into and prop each other.

1 Like

because it simply isn’t that way.

yes, there are situations where men worry about their safety at night. ( for instance, driving while black in majority white neighborhoods ) but the situation studied was a situation where men don’t even have to consider whether they are safe.

privilege is taking things for granted because society was built for you and protects you implicitly. that is the situation of a college campus at night for most men

emergency phone boxes, pepper spray, whistles, letting your friends know where you are going, making sure you have someone walk with you - that’s the average college campus for women at night

25 Likes

And as the researchers have made this study by asking a few local undergraduates for their responses, the results may be a little WEIRD.

2 Likes

If nothing else, the heat map is a perfect representation of this:

Yep. Look how the men get to focus on moving forward, while the women have most of their attention diverted to staying safe by keeping keen attention on the periphery.
Just imagine what we could accomplish if all of us felt safe enough to progress forward without fear.

29 Likes

Yes, and we’re talking college campuses, so people at the very beginning of their adult life (17-22). A young man moves away from home and already feels safe in the big wide world. A young woman already knows she isn’t.

30 Likes

Literally GIF

22 Likes

Findings: women live in an observable and quantifiable constant hypervigilance out of terror of men!

The internet: Living in constant fear is the natural state of women so are their eyes like mouse eyes now kinda like how their pain isn’t real pain because it’s female pain!?

25 Likes

Damn. Got any lotto numbers you’d like to share?

13 Likes

A male like me raised in high crime neighborhoods will give you that basic “female” survival response. This is badly skewed or maybe they’re saying we just don’t make to a campus?

No, it’s saying that people who know they are at risk of getting attacked look to the areas where someone could hide and then attack them.

22 Likes

Hey, that’s my line!

:wink:

Seriously though; one doesn’t need to be psychic to predict the bullshit we’re seeing posted in real time.

From the poorly chosen phrasing of the post, to the very first comment with its disturbing implications, to the off-topic weak sauce rhetoric being employed in defense of that comment.

Even Stevie Wonder could have seen this coming.

24 Likes

I really didn’t know that was your line! If I had known, I still definitely would have said it, though.

Your picking up on the direction of the thread way earlier than I did is basically another example of what this study is pointing out, isn’t it? I’m not on guard about bad arguments and misogyny all the time, I’m less aware. Just walking down my path. I mean, I try to be on the lookout and flag and stuff, but I’m not not on it like those who have to deal with it all…the…fucking…time. The bbs is lucky to have people that push back on this nonsense.

24 Likes

I might have said it a time or several.

:crazy_face:

Sadly so, yes.

Being seen as a constant target by much of society means keeping one’s head on perpetual ‘swivel…’

17 Likes

I’m sure there were some men in the study who had the threat-oriented view. Men who have lived most of their lives in dangerous places or transmen.

But this is an amalgamation of responses. The responses of outliers are lost in favor of identifying the trends. The trend here, that a woman views walking alone at night thru a lense of fear and caution while men are typically focused on the destination is spot on with the experiences of the people I know. Including my spouse, who being male, didn’t realize at first why I don’t usually go walking at night. He’s a guy who has spent a lot of time examining his privilege but this one kind of blindsided him.

I’d also ask you to consider: as unsafe as you felt growing up in a dangerous and violent neighborhood, how much more fearful must the women living there have been? It was bad for you and has continued to effect your life. Which is terrible. No one should have to live that way. But most women, even ones who grew up in relatively safe places, live with that same fear every day. Even in relatively safe places, women must be cautious and responsible in ways men do not.

28 Likes

Also, calling women prey animals, either directly or indirectly is disgusting and pretty telling

what is wrong with you diane johnson GIF by ABC Network

24 Likes

Say it again, louder; for those “in the cheap seats.”

21 Likes

I feel a little ill that it must be said at all

90 Day Fiance Ew GIF by TLC Europe

23 Likes

I apologize if it’s in the first paragraph or the report (that I didn’t read), but how did they control for correlation vs. causation? It makes total sense that women would watch the shadows for safety reasons, but did they follow up with questions or any other information or studies that would prove causation? Just from the summary here it sounds like a fair assumption, but still an assumption. Plus I wished they’d used eye-tracking instead of mouse-clicks. But it would be interesting to repeat the tests with children.

It doesn’t appear there were follow-up questions regarding why the participants clicked where they did.

Emphasis is mine.

For the most part, male respondents intended to identify paths and walkways, whereas female respondents were more likely to point out areas outside the path, such as bushes or dark areas. This was especially true at night and in high entrapment areas.

It would be interesting to repeat the experiment with eye tracking. Though I would guess this would show an even larger difference between genders, particularly when mapping where people looked first.

17 Likes

What exactly are you getting at?

Do you have a better theory, or really any plausible theory, for the difference in responses other than gender-based differences in fear of violence?

14 Likes