Michelle Obama's passport photo believed to be included in new leaks linked to Russia

Is that a majestik møøse?

ETA: Ooh. M_ajestik and M_øøse. Ava change!

4 Likes

3 Likes

The people who manage her travel arrangements would keep a scan so they can book tickets, visas, etc. This was how travel was coordinated at one of my workplaces. They had a directory on a file server full of PDF scans of passports.

2 Likes

It probably depends on local policies in your country. The automatic passport gates for Australian passport holders tell us to remove our glasses before they check your face against your passport photo.

Well yeah. But given the topic of conversation, both generally and in this string of replies, is American passports that probably doesn’t apply. So far as I know there’s no US bar on wearing your glasses in a passport photo.

I think that must have been the game on Czech TV last night.

Yea, my first thought was “Good lord, that thing is so tacky”

This wasn’t one of the TLAs was it?

I work for a public/privately funded nonprofit, and I still remember my first trip up to the capital to work with some people in a state office. Their first comment when we started our presentations by handing out our packets was “oooh, look who gets to print in color”

There’s a joke to be found in “No Dummies”, but I’m too tired this morning to find it.

I can remember when passports and drivers licenses included hair color.

4 Likes

Not quite but certainly very big and professional.

Now we’ll avoid a situation like in that movie Olympus has Fallen… all we need is more of Gerrard Butler chewing up the scenery…

1 Like

Also…

1 Like

To be fair, I think passports are a key technology of the nation-state. The creation of borders and the means to control who can or can’t pass through those borders is by it’s very definition uber-nationalistic…

Have you read Benedict Anderson’s Imagined Community? If not, you absolutely should. It’s one of those history books that everyone should be familiar with, I think:

1 Like

That goes both ways. If you look at it, the Cold War itself was a strange era of a co-dependent relationship between the US and the Soviets, with the rhetoric being deployed was mutually beneficial in helping to justify both domestic and foreign policies as well as function as a means of domestic control in BOTH countries. The Russians have not been shy about ramping up their Anti-American rhetoric, either.

1 Like

My California license has sex, hair, eyes, height, and weight. I think they pretty much take you at your word on the application, because I’m not quite 6’3" or 185 lbs. I suppose someone would have objected if I’d put my hair color as “plaid” or “transparent” though.

The People’s Republic of Casiotone…

1 Like

Funny enough, I’m thinking of how commodities like music also created imagined communities…

I realise that. It just feels like there’s been an acceleration in the past year or two, after a fair lull. I fear it doesn’t bode well. Hopefully Syria’s not about to become the new North and South Korea.