Missing manual for world's oldest surviving computer found

I think he means the Football Association. I don’t think there has been a Jewish team in the Football League.

Wingate still exist today, merged with Finchley.

1 Like

No, just that “Z88” seems suggestive.

2 Likes

I think it was because 1) It has a Z80 microprocessor and came out in 1988 (well, actually 1987, but they were looking ahead). Pretty much all of Clive Sinclair’s computers (with the exception of the QL which used the 68008 processor) used Z80 microprocessors and have names starting with Z (ZX-80, ZX-81, ZX-Spectrum, Z88)

2 Likes

Carla’s Computer?
Popular Electronics April 1963, p 48

Yes that’s it.

1 Like

Lies das verdammte Handbuch!

3 Likes

On the one hand, okay, right, it’s not clear cut. On the other hand, it is probably possible to define a set of requirements that a large proportion of people could agree on - e.g., Turing-complete, programmable without rewiring, but not, for example, necessarily von Neumann architecture or solid state. I had the Z3 pegged as the first, though I thought that its Turing-completeness had only been demonstrated within the last two decades. So if there’s a popular article that identifies the Z3 as the “first computer”, I’m more okay with that than if they had termed Colossus or ENIAC as such. An article with academic aspirations however I would take issue with too.

2 Likes

Jawohl!

Apart from the usual tendency to declare anything to have been invented “here”, it depends on your field. Information scientists will usually go for Turing Completeness as the main, if not only criterion for a “universal computer”, and don’t give a hoot about whether the thing was made out of tubes, relays, or brass levers.

This all happening at a time of communication breakdown between nations is one of the sideline tragedies of WW2. Imagine Turing and Zuse would have read each other’s papers, or even cooperated. Would make for a nice bit of alternative history hard SF… culminating in an acid fueld singularity in 1968 or something :smiley:

2 Likes

Finally, we can get our long anticipated Z4 port of Doom.

5 Likes

Reading the manual, it appears he also invented “LOL.”

In 1967, Zuse suggested that the universe itself is running on a cellular automaton or similar computational structure (digital physics); in 1969, he published the book Rechnender Raum (translated into English as Calculating Space ).

I didn’t think you could do that in Plankalkül…

3 Likes

“RTFM MF!”

2 Likes

Oh, my. page 3:

If the input takes longer than 25 seconds, the impuls generator turns off. Reactivation: remove all film strips, press “Start” button, and commence the calculation from the beginning

:sweat:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.