Mob of young MAGA hat wearers surrounds Native American elder and mock him [UPDATED WITH NEW VIDEO]

That’s why they were chanting “Build the Wall!” at him. smh.

7 Likes

I watched the other videos. The man is not surrounded alone vs a mob. He has other members of his march with him, and there is a clear path out. There are also 3rd party people also in that crowd.

I really do not need to split hairs here. We can agree these are racist and intolerant assholes clearly disrespecting, denigrating, and overall mocking this man and his heritage. Anything past that doesn’t matter because that right there is enough to condemn.

I don’t feel the need to fight about the shades of grey and click baiting that happens here.

If you want to…by all means go for it…leave me out of it.

1 Like

Make Racists Afraid Again

8 Likes

As a reminder that this not just a Kentucky thing:

12 Likes

Look at the right hand of the kid wearing the white scarf & hoodie:

17 Likes

“aren’t entirely in control of”

1 Like

There is a whole Norman Rockwell-esque style of paintings that exist in my head that are predicated exactly on “I know I can get away with what I’m doing to you [or them].”

4 Likes

Indeed. Photojournalist Ryan Vizzions (“No Spiritual Surrender” on Facebook) says a better headline would be:

Native Elder, Nathan Phillips, walks into a crowd of Magats and begins playing the AIM song to their face.

Source with details and video clip:

(Quoted for those who prefer to avoid Facebook):

VIDEO: Nathan Phillips, an Omaha Native pipe carrier steps into a group of Trump supporters to divert attention away from a group of African American protestors as the crowd of MAGA youth were taunting them, according to the eyewitness who filmed this video.

In this video, you can see the moment Phillips and his group begin playing their drum, stepping in directly between the group of MAGA youth and the African American protestors to divert the energy away from them and towards him. Phillips, a Vietnam veteran and former director of Native Youth Alliance has previously used his drum and song on both the front lines of the NODAPL movement as well as a music video from Skrillex & Damian Marley’s music video for “Make it Bun Dem”.

I’ve had the honor of standing alongside Phillips multiple times between Standing Rock, Washington DC & New York City. Ironically, this video was recorded by my ex girlfriends friend, who just happened to be in Washington DC and at the incident during the time, not connected to any of the 3 groups. The Indigenous People’s March had ended by the time of this situation.

Accuracy is important when relaying news.

Instead of highlighting the ignorance of these youth, let’s highlight the dignity and courage of these men. Both the African American men, and the native group that came to stand in solidarity with them in the face of hate.

Video: Olive Chauncey

Vizzoins also posted a screengrab of the original uploader’s description of the video. Transcribed from the screengrab:

“Large group of young white teenagers wearing MAGA hats, surrounding 4 Nation of Islam men calling them devil’s… enter Native American peace makers.”

(Vizzoins points out that we do not know if the men holding protest signs in the video are indeed NOI or not).

ETA: while I was writing this post, Vizzoins uploaded another, longer video of the taunting of the protestors by the MAGAists and the intervention of a group of people led by Nathan Phillips.

FULL VIDEO: On camera, you can see the MAGA Youth taunting the group of African American men as they peacefully protest. Nathan Phillips then steps in with drum and song to divert the hate energy away from the men, instead focusing the hate towards himself. This is UNITY!

Everyone in the media has it wrong. SHARE THIS.

18 Likes

If true, that’s even more impressive than the magats-in-training deciding to surround him; as Cameron Esposito says, he “got in the way” of hatred.

18 Likes

Sarcasm scans poorly or not at all, and should be tagged, especially by someone who is not a well known member of the community.

2 Likes

What does that symbol signify?

1 Like

Yet another white power sign. They try to be all sly and flash it whenever they can.

A great rebuttal is your middle finger.

12 Likes
5 Likes

Here’s a sample from the Twitter of their supervising priest:

13 Likes

Nathan Phillips has a varied resume. He stars in this rather interesting music video:

And he participated in the Standing Rock pipeline protests:

7 Likes

As a German, I only can feel pity for you Americans. That’s excactly, how Nazi Germany started.
I bet, his Grandfather, who might have fought WW2 would have asked himself, why he had gone to fight the racist Nazis anyway, when his Grandson has become the same Asshole as the Nazi Germans then. I seems, the sacrifices of WW2 have all been forgotten.
Disgusting.

24 Likes

with that kids level of creeper we have a future ted cruz right there!

6 Likes

OK we get it, you don’t think he was surrounded by a mob of hecklers. You have a right to your minority opinion, but it’s not a fact, nor is your claim that my headline is clickbait.

22 Likes

Bet that kid’s dad is a real piece of work.

2 Likes

I know I can get away with what I’m doing to you.

Oh, right, that would be why I’m having so much trouble restraining myself from advocating punching a child in the face in this instance. I grew up being bullied by kids wearing that smirk, because their parents were members of one of the elite families in town, or because they were sad toadies trying to impress those kids.

10 Likes