More single adults living with parents than on their own for first time since 1880s

It’s not all one way - my in-laws are living with us after they lost most of their pension.

8 Likes
1 Like

Locally they’ve not just been ignoring illegal living places but actually trying to legitimize some of them because the city knows that’s the only way anyone can find anything remotely close to affordable housing. It’s mostly things like “granny units” and converted garages have been made legit, but one of my neighbors has managed, for years, to get away with renting out a shed in his backyard that literally uses the fence between his property and his neighbor as one of its walls…

3 Likes

Boulder, Colorado. While it IS expensive to live here, most of the problem is being unable to find work with decent hours and pay. I may not live with my parents, but I still depend on my Dad to help pay for groceries. I’m 33, have a college degree and run the collections department of a small art museum in Denver, which requires a 45 minute commute each way. I’ve been looking for something closer to home but there seems to be nothing between “minimum wage drudgery that won’t even pay the bills” and “pays $20 an hour but requires two degrees and ten years experience”.

2 Likes

Dude - open or work in a weed shop. Duh.

Man. I moved out of my parents’ house in 1989, when I was 19 and working a crappy fast food job. I got a 2-bedroom apartment with 2 roommates for $525 a month; I was hardly rolling in dough, but I only needed to ask my parents for help when my car died. This was in the San Diego area, so not the cheapest place to live; I don’t know if the same thing would be possible today. If I had had to keep living with my parents I think I would have thrown myself in front of a bus (they are lovely people, but I didn’t start thinking so until I moved out).

3 Likes

I moved out in 1993 when I got out of college. Got a shitty job in a bookstore (which was where my girlfriend, later wife, worked). We had a REALLY crappy 1 bedroom a block from the store for $400 a month (and no insulation) and I think our takehome pay was roughly $700 each. I remember making the choice of eating or of fixing the car (we lost the car).

I don’t even know how my daughter is going to get by when she gets out of college in another two years (and I live two states away from her).

4 Likes

I’d guess the lack of choice because of the economic context is largely why we’re seeing this, not whether or not people can hump under their parent’s roofs. I’d expect you’d see a fair amount of variety on that question from both generations (Gen Xers and Millennials).

2 Likes

I bet this is not just true for you, either, but for a larger number of now multi-generational households.

2 Likes

People will insist on blaming a Millenial “culture.” That Millenials want things but don’t expect to work for them and similar hogwash. My girlfriend and I have been looking at California rents lately, and a cardboard box won’t house the two of us for what she and I would get paid there in the best case scenario. The best case scenario being me a grad student with some kind of funding and her being a high school teacher. I’m sure it’s doable, because people do it, but I fail to see how either of us would somehow not be maximizing our efforts here, and we’re hardly alone.

Aside: When did teachers become the scum of the earth because they want money in exchange for services?

14 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.