Most feminist moments in sci-fi history

Janeway the most inept starfleet captain, really?

Inept at keeping an audience maybe?

Yeah but a lot of stuff that is called “science fiction” is like that. It doesn’t have to be literally about science or technology – dystopian dictatorships established after the fall of our current civilization are a pretty common topic in science fiction. And lots of horrifying stories aren’t labeled “horror” either (that smells of Koontz and King and is a no-go for literary work as well). Even notice how bookstores have sections for Science Fiction, Romance, Horror – and then “Literary Fiction”.

1 Like

Certainly there are many women writers, female fictional characters and such that could have been included on this list. But I found it informative and informed.

Until I reached Janelle Monae. That’s really reaching. If you want to talk interesting female pop musicians, science fiction-inflected or not, there are many many many that pre-date Janelle with a more distinctive (imo) approach to music and male-gaze-indifferent visuals.

No love for C.J. Cherryh?

3 Likes

Wasn’t Janeway better at everything than everyone else on her ship? I didn’t watch a lot of Voyager because it sucked (an objective fact!) but I recall often wondering why anyone but Janeway was even around (especially Neelix… why?!?).

1 Like

How about those kick-ass ladies of Avatar (Both human and Na’vi), or Trinity from The Matrix or the Major from Ghost in the Shell.

Not particularly fair when you consider how many Enterprise ships Picard destroyed.

3 Likes

Except for Scissors-Paper-Stone.

No one crosses Signy Mallory.

I’m a little surprised that no one has mentioned James H. Schmitz. His usually competent, level-headed protagonists were mainly women, (e.g., Telzey Amberdon, Nile Etland, Trigger Argee) presented in the most matter-of-fact way. (Actually, that was Schmitz’s strength as a writer - he never wasted time explaining. You would be dropped in a world, seeing it the way its inhabitants would.)

That kind of matter-of-fact attitude is perhaps the most positive feminist statement possible: competence, in whomever it arises, is take for granted.

Besides, no one crosses the Leewit. :smile:

Totally on board with you on that; the divide between genre literature and ‘literary fiction’ is as stupid and pointless as the one between ‘fine art’ and… whatever is not considered fine art, I don’t even keep track. I just didn’t feel this particular article was endorsing this position with the use of the term speculative fiction. I think it’s useful to have various labels for genres and sub-genres, solely for clarity and descriptiveness and not with the goal of drawing pretentious lines in the sand.

2 Likes

I’ll just stick this link to the Internet Speculative Fiction Database here (set to Sheri T. Tepper’s page). :wink:

I think of speculative fiction as a broader set of genre fiction, which includes Sci-fi. Harlan Ellison has no problem using the terminology, why should we?

1 Like

Honestly - and I think you maybe agree here - but good fiction is good fiction and maybe that’s how we should start putting them in book shelves. I think genres are a short hand for the industry to know how to market a book, but all too often, it’s leads to people who look down on those types of fiction not giving it chance - which is probably the core reason people use speculative fiction.

Frankly, they do the same with African American literature as well. Why shouldn’t Their Eye’s were Watching God, Native Son, and The Color Purple be in with the lit fiction (or American fiction, maybe), because that’s what they are. They offer stories that would be of interest to anyone, not just African Americans. And they do it with gay literature, too.

Thanks for clarifying. I’ll be sticking with my initial response, thanks.

Well you should probably give the series another go. She definitely has the back story to explain her emotional instability around a few of the other crew.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.