NASA official takes oath of office with hand on Carl Sagan book

It might be a waste of space that could be devoted to yet another instrument capable of generating fascinating line graphs in Icarus. A billion dollar probe that produces a zoomed in version of what any old fool could eke out of an earth based telescope, or a bilion dollar probe that detects stuff that can only be detected in a close approach? It’s a real mercantilist attitude to expect “funding” to result from more beauty shots.

2 Likes

I’m sure there’s some good reason to re-argue the losing side of a debate from two generations ago

3 Likes

Anyway, if one looks at what he published in the 1960s and 70s, it was all on planetary atmospheres

Such a background might prepare one to design a scientifically useful probe.

4 Likes

I wonder what level of job it has to be where you have an actual ceremony instead of just signing an SF-61.

sf61.pdf (opm.gov)

5 Likes

Wonderful video.
His face was reminiscent of a bulldog puppy seeing snow for the first time.
Wuh? No bibble?

4 Likes

If a person says they’re going to do something, but doesn’t, then it’s whoops/excuses/strike one/paths to redemption/etc.
When a person promises they’re going to do something, but doesn’t, then they cannot be trusted ever again.
At least that’s how it worked a long time ago. Promises were taken seriously. What else can be done when it’s the US Constitution is on the line?

Obviously, the government is a hot rotten mess right now. Promises, promises.

6 Likes

6 Likes

darth-vader-star-wars

4 Likes

“”“”"
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
Dizzy with eternity
Paint it with a skin of sky, brush in some clouds and sea
Call it home for you and me
A peaceful place, or so it looks from space
A closer look reveals the human race
Full of hope, full of grace, is the human face
But afraid we may lay our home to waste
“”“”

3 Likes

Probably starting at either SES or Executive Schedule level?

Thanks for posting.
This is a legit wonderful thing.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.