Need some solitude? Here's a map of the loneliest road in every US state

Their moms never should have nagged them about marriage and grandkids, either.

14 Likes

I was surprised by how much traffic there was on the “loneliest” road in Alaska - just shy of 200 travelers a day - but it’s 400+ miles long, as compared to 20 mile roads elsewhere. So very much an apples-to-oranges kind of comparison, just based on that. I imagine you could find plenty of 10 or 20 mile long stretches of roads that have no traffic at all on given days.

4 Likes

I’m quite amused by the listed loneliest road in Wisconsin, WI-80 from Hazel Green to Marshfield, WI. I’ve driven on that one quite a few times – it passes through Platteville where one of my partners lives! It is a pretty isolated area, that’s true.

3 Likes

I love The Tourists’ first album.

2 Likes

Yeah. The 201 in Maine surprises me, too…but then again, the AADT metric doesn’t say what percentage of the road’s length is traveled by that number of cars, so it might be that certain sections seem “normal” levels of busy but long stretches are mostly deserted. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Overall a fun project, though. I would now go out of my way to check out some of those roads.

5 Likes

… oh no, not taco trucks on every corner :scream:

8 Likes

What paradise is this that you are describing?! :yum:

That sounds like a perfect set up for a slasher movie.

4 Likes

The map is driving me nuts because it’s using a U.S. shield without regard to the actual type of highway (turns out most of them are state highways, so it would have been “more” correct if they’d just used circles).

4 Likes

Very cool. I’ve driven all of the loneliest roads in California, Oklahoma, and Hawaii. And decent chunks of ones in a few more.

2 Likes

Where traffic is so infrequent people have attributed head/tail lights to be a supernatural occurrence.

3 Likes

I had to parse that one out as well. Never found anything definitive, buts it’s the only single road that runs between the two. I suppose the average daily usage must go pretty close to zero in the off season because it’s pretty dang busy in the summer.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.