2 Likes
9 Likes
8 Likes

Real talk:

7 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

I can see why it didnā€™t get hardly any love, because the vid contains some uncomfortable truths that are rather hard to hear, but the way the speaker expresses herself on the subject is brilliant, IMO; sharing the video clip totally deserves ā€˜all the likesā€™ā€¦

6 Likes

Yes! As I said over there, sheā€™s awesome (and so is her book).

I wish BB would put this Big Think on the front page, as it has with others.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Heh, I lived thisā€¦ drove me out of fandom. The white fans were LOLing at the very concept they could have racial biases, they were married to a Syrian, a Mexican, their stepbrother was black, their best friend was an adopted Korean and she thinks just like a white person. And me, Iā€™m a second generation Chinese Canadian, itā€™s not like I have first hand knowledge of China (nevermind that my folks arenā€™t from China either), in the first place! They should knowā€¦ somehow.

I still find it hard to watch Star Trek: TNG for this reason (I used to love it, but now, much comes off as smarmy to me). And I know itā€™s shallow of me, but I hate how so many of those people I dealt with in fandom ended up at tor.com or ended up as high up editors in SF.

EDIT: OH and I forgot the condescensionā€¦ I believe the line was ā€œItā€™s good of you to admit you might have some resentment over your position as a minority in a majority white society, but donā€™t assume that we as individuals hold racial biases just because you do.ā€ ARGH, so infuriating!

5 Likes
5 Likes

Especially the bone conduction.
Well spotter, @Tamsin_Bailey

1 Like
8 Likes

https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/nbc-confirms-megyn-kelly-kicked-off-today-show-after-her-blackface-comments/131985/49?u=milliefink

2 Likes

Heh.

8 Likes

This pulls everything into perspectiveā€¦

8 Likes

well of course i didnā€™t WRITE that, it was just in my rss feeds

5 Likes