Neil Gaiman: How I learned to stop worrying and love the duplicator machines

Serious question: how do you deal with music. Cos I’d go crackers without it. Is it acceptable to have a playlist that lasts a day, and have it automatically start?

As for the playlist: yes and no. It is permissible to automate things before the start of the sabbath or holidays with sabbath like restrictions. Putting your lights on timers is the classic example. Music or TV is more problematic since it is generally forbidden during the sabbath. Needless to say there are some who are not strict about this.

Whats far “worse” for music heads is there are certain periods of the year (mainly the three weeks) where listening to or playing music is forbidden. Needless to say this is when I tend to get some really good ideas for new bass lines or production tricks…

2 Likes

aaaand how can you use the app to see if you can use the app if you haven’t used the app to see if you can use the app? Like using GPS to keep one inside of the eruv.

Can’t you just get yourself a shabbes goy to turn the pages of an eReader for you?

Obviously you can’t :smile: But its not so hard to look at it on Friday around lunch and note when is candle lighting and when shabbos ends.

1 Like

The New York Times used to run front page classifieds

Jewish women/girls light Shabbat candles today.

was a staple

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.