New Delhi's garbage mountain

Tucson is gorgeous, for 5 months of the year. The other 7 are pretty harsh.

The current mountain of garbage there is only the latest in landfills - there are 30 landfill sites within the city limits. Rob…

2 Likes

Those pits fill up with ground and rain water that causes a further breakdown and leaching of the heavy metals into the ground water, I can’t imagine adding mountains of trash into that situation is going to be a good idea.

1 Like

Ahem. 

There too many of us.

While getting people to think about their consumer waste may seem more attainable, its getting corporations to think about their packaging waste thats going to have the larger impact. If the materials used are not themselves rectclable, no amount of scolding the end user is going to make much of a difference.

Getting companies to change their ways is going to be a helluva challenge, but it’s kind of inevitable for many reasons. They will change by choice, or theyll change when their market dies.

What little subsurface ground water is already saturated with heavy metals naturally. This isn’t sitting above or below some clean stone or alluvial aquifer that is going to get polluted. The overburden, which is the same rock, is just sitting in giant mounds all around the pit, leaching into surface water and nearby alluvial aquifers. The pit is going to need to be filled (or it will turn into a toxic lake from natural ground water seeping in) and capped and the overburden also remediated. Where do you get 1 cubic km of fill? Use the overburden. Which is crushed rock full of heavy metals. This pit is going to be filled with the same rock that came out. Garbage would be the least toxic thing in and around that pit.

Or we could use good land to bury the same garbage above clean aquifers.

I think affecting customer behavior first is the better angle because otherwise consumer demand isn’t changing. For example here in Austin they rammed through the “no plastic bags” at stores and from what i can tell there was enough customer pushback that i’ve noticed that stores are no longer charging customers for paper bags if they forget to provide their own (at least the few stores that i go to regularly). If you create customer demand for something the business surrounding it will change to match it.

Did anyone else notice? The vultures in that video were added after filming.

Or possibly Tacoma.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.