New device for smelling in stereo

6 Likes

3 Likes

Slip-soled persistence hunter VR meditation here we come.

2 Likes

So basically it is a transducer that turns electrical signals into nose tickles. Rather than the useless stereo smell, how about claiming this

Allows you to smell any signal!

Why not smell the sound of your favorite music. Smell the price of bitcoin. Smell temperature. Smell light!

But seriously I betcha there are some card counters who would use this as the output signal from their black box.

People do not smell in stereo because each nostril smells things slightly differently because of differences in air velocity. And they alternate tasks.
https://www.nature.com/articles/46944

1 Like

Wow. It’s so detailed. I can even differentiate the aromas from his loincloth!

1 Like

Sadly, this particular gadget probably won’t do that. There are many different scent detectors (about 14 last time I saw a figure) that are keyed to different shapes of molecule. An electrical stimulus will probably tickle all of them if it is strong enough, but it is hard to see how it could stimulate a particular one the way a molecule does. If you want to stimulate a particular scent bulb you will have to get right inside.

However, people do smell in stereo. When asked to follow a short chocolate scent path across grass, people learned to smell with their head on one side then the other, using one nostril to smell for chocolate, and the other to subtract the rest of the earth and grass smells. Apparently tracking dogs do the same.

1 Like

Drinking tea through your nose?

Reminds me of a scene in the Robin Williams movie “Toys” where his sister (played by Joan Cusack) is trying out a VR contraption…works great except she has the earpiece shoved up a nostril.

All the better to identify who “dealt it”.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.