New toner cartridges are 20% full and report themselves empty at 15%. What's going on?

Maybe I’m biased because of my job, but I don’t think the dishonesty is in the engineering compromises of printers. It’s in the marketing decisions. For example an old eco-tank model that when it reached 30000 prints, stopped and required a maintenance assemply, considered it non replaceable and the company adviced you to buy a new printer.
What is this maintenace assemply? A bunch of sponges in a simple plastic container.
What made it not replacable? It was held in place by a screw - not a latch.

4 Likes

is that japan, or tokyo though? it’s my sense that maybe tokyo has such a density of people that many things impractical elsewhere become practical

2 Likes

The major chains have them at all of their locations nationwide. You can use them to print out official documents (family and tax records) on official paper stock using your national ID card, and there was a major push by the government to make that possible because it cuts down on administrative costs at the municipal level.

5 Likes

interesting! thanks for the explanation

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.