NSA declares war on general purpose computers

I wish the NSA the best of luck implementing this on my Atari Falcon.

Mind you, encrypting a 4k text file with md5 takes about a week.

1 Like

But it’s easier to sit around using the 1st.

1 Like

Note that the 1st covers also the talk about encryption systems, and the algorithms themselves, including the source code.

As crypto is classified as munitions, this is where it overlaps with the 2nd.

It would be interesting if it had any possibility of working. Once it’s implemented, it will be detected and disabled by someone(s). The fake fixes posted by the NSA itself will be identified and publicized as they always are. Real fixes will be posted to the internet and soon, anyone who wants to hide something will be able to do so.

And there’s still pencil and paper.

I have a wonderful idea !
Lets put some spy software in every computer produced in the USA and sell it to the whole wide world ? It will be great we can spy on everyone …

…wait …someone blew the whislte and they already know we’re doing that , and suddenly no one wants to buy any kind of USA electronics anymore. PHones, computers, apparently they want nothing to do with USA …

Hmmm…

1 Like

The problem doesn’t lie in your comp sci degree or the math for n key encryption.

The problem lies in the fact that everyone in the whole wide world has heard about this NSA crud and wants nothing to do with USA problems. You talk about the good guy in Japan , but the good guy in japan isn’t going to have a key at all because he’s going to wash his hands of the whole problem and buy non-usa products and stay the heck away from the nightmare that the usa has become.

You think a guy in japan is going to try cell phones in hte USA and advertise them as “NSA compliant ! Yes the NSA can listen in on everything you say as legally required !” ?

You think he’s going to be able to sell a USA phone to a japanese girl when the first question out of her mouth will be "Can the americans listen in on everything I say on this american phone ? "

This is not a world wide issue, the world wants nothing to do with you , even if selected governments do. This is an american problem. American has strangled itself on this issue.

1 Like

The big concern in a democracy is building a profile on every citizen , including who they vote for. And then noticing 80% of the people who will vote for my political opponent live in that neibourhood right there , if I could do something to sabatage that neibourhood on voting day , or convince those people it’s too much trouble to vote …

The big concern in the middle east is when ISIS hackers started tracking down people they didn’t like and started showing up on their real world door step with machine guns.

A detailed profile of you , espcially who you’re going to vote for , is an actual existional threat. Once the policians figure out how to disenfranchise you from voting , the next step is "cut backs ! You’re out on the street ! " and “Sorry , jobs for voters only, you don’t vote …but we have a wonderful spot for you in our for profit prison !”

Does the NSA need to declare war on general purpose computing to break RSA or AES? I thought Feistel networks and public key cryptography are simple enough to be defined without use of recursion. Encryption and Decryption are useful precisely because they’re decidable problems.

I am very disappointed with the title of this thread.

Whoa, backhanded insult. Tsk. Citation, please?

“Dashing tinfoil hats” Name of my… Ah, forget it.

Bingo!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.